This post is an extension of the
Pain/pressure on right side -abdomen, pelvic, flank and back – part 2
thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Really sad to see that Part 1 closed due to so many posts. Evidently quite a few people are having similar issues.

I'm 33 years old, no kids, with acne since 12. My symptoms mirrored those described in the original post--namely right side pain located just below the bottom rib. It would come and go, was felt most at night and preventing me sleeping on right side. Over time it got worse, spreading to back--at waist level.

Initial doctor visits for blood work and ultrasound showed nothing. Got a new doctor. 1st urinalysis showed kidney infection. Treated with antibiotics for 3 months (4 rounds). While back pain went away, the original right side pain remained. Doc told me it was acid reflux--but food doesn't impact pain level.

Insisted on seeing a urologist. 1st one said intersitial cystiosis (spelling wrong). Got second opinion. Doc had to go look inside my bladder and kidneys. Found out I have a stricture of my urethra and my right ureter. He was able to fix the one on my urethra, but I have to go to another doctor about the right ureter.

At any rate, nothing showed up on my tests. My GPs were chasing bogus diagnosis. I felt like I was being told I'm imagining it. And now I learn that my right kidney hasn't been draining correctly due to a stricture in the right ureter--and it is FIXABLE. And it explains every one of my symptoms. Glad I didn't listen to my original doctors.

Hi, I posted back in Part 1 about the pain I've been having in my right side. After my doctor and many tests came up with nothing, I started seeing a naturopath. Not my first choice, but I've had a few friends who've had great success with theirs so I figured it was worth a shot. I've been diagnosed with an overgrowth of candida, which leads to something my naturopath called "leaky gut syndrome." I was skeptical, but, as advised, I cut out gluten (which is in wheat and other grains) and dairy, and have been taking her supplements and it's made all the difference in the world.

After a couple of weeks, the pain was completely gone. I've lost weight and I feel much better. If I'm not careful and eat something with gluten in it, the pain comes back. I think too much sugar also causes problems, so I've cut back on that too. Anyways, if the medical community has let you down, maybe it's time to try something new.

Also, I've been reading a lot about Chrone's Disease and Colitis and seems like they could be causing a lot of the symptoms people mention in their posts too.

had similar problem and it looks like it's related to Psoas muscle strain

hope this helps. This thread really helped me

I have been suffering from abdominal pain for the past few months and I'm so exhausted from it. I went in to see my doctor for right pelvic pain. She did a pap test and requested a sonogram to check for cysts. Having the sonogram done, they found one cyst...but on the left side. It's a complex cyst, they don't know whether it's coming or going, but did see that there was blood in it. My pap came back normal.

I go in on Wednesday for another evaluation of the cyst. It is 1.9 cm. However, I still have the discomfort on the right side. It's an occasional throbbing with sharp pains every now and then...enough for me to notice and become concerned. My doctor felt my lower right pelvic area and thought I might have the start of a hernia and referred me to a surgeon (who can't get me in until September 10th, ugh!). In the meantime, I don't sleep...it's all I can think about.

I should mention, back in June I went to the doctor for regular cases of vertigo...which they chalked up to anxiety, after running blood work and a brain MRI. The vertigo, I have just accepted is hear to stay, but the anxiety I'm having over my discomfort isn't making anything any better...

From Last 20 days, I am feeling pain on my right side of flank...it started from right side & slowly moves towards other parts of body....its paining a lot, i am not able to react to it, i cannot do anything for 15/20 minutes when it started...i visited doctor thrice first doctor indicates urine infection & then advised me to go for ultra sound & other things as it might be bcause of stones on kidney....bt after ultra sound theres no stone found, on ultrasound found liver was slightly enlarged by 2 cms...still i am feeling pain doctor now advised me for further checkups.....not understand what happened.....started with fever/vomiting /loosemotions now only pain on right flank when it started automatically i am feeling sick....any one having simillar prob please suggest me

ok heres the thing im 36 and have had stones on and off since i was 24 . the pain can come and go just little twinges here and there and sometimes they can get so bad you cant move for hours and it sounds to me like you have the same problem . if you are still having this pain go to the urloglist again and have it checked again cause sometimes if the stone is so small it wont show up on the tests at first or if the stone is stuck in the uritha ( spelling wrong) and if thats the case it needs surgury to come out and a stent will be used to help pass all the blocked pee which is the reason you are having pain cause your kidneys are filling up and when it cant hold anymore it can burst and you could lose the kidney go have it checked again cause i wouldnt want anyone to go threw the pain im in again hope this helps

When you stretch (lean) to the left (while sitting or standing), do you feel it right at the hip radiating up to the low right rib cage? Sitting down, bringing your lower back in, do you still feel it in same area, or more of the middle of your lower back?  When you walk, and relax your abdomen, do you feel like one of your organs is swollen on the right side? When you lean back in a chair, full tilt, feet up on desk, do you feel fine? When you lean forward on a desk (standing), both hands on the desk, is your discomfort almost gone?  Sorry for all the questions.

YES, this fits me.  What does this mean?

I have exactly the same issues... it'll be great if you can tell what does this mean? My Docs have no clue so far.

Thx...

I wish I could tell you, but I'm feeling the same thing. Even when I wrote that 3 months ago, I ha
d not had the CT scan yet. My CT scan was "unremarkable", yet I had, and still have, this issue. It comes and goes.
If I put minimal pressure on my right flank (hands on hip or where your thumb touch's lower flack, is very tender) About me..
I'm male
39yrs
155-160lb's
5/11 height
Caucasian
sit a lot (@ work & home) on computer
Drive a Manuel transmission car (may be helpful)
I figured It might be a pinched nerve, but when drinking a tonic of olive oil & pure lemon (don't ask), irritates something. I get throbbing pain (4-6) that lasts maybe 15-25 minutes, right in the flank area (target spot). All tests done so far have come back normal, other then several small simple cysts (no more then 5mm) in right kidney. Doc stated that these should not give me problems. I will help keep everyone in the loop, but others with this same issue out their need to respond to this topic post. I can tell you that this comes and goes about every 6-8 weeks, then back were we started. Do you get a knot like feeling to the right of your navel?
tests done..........
blood
urine
ultrasound
CT Scan W/ & W/O contrast
ex ray

I'm the guest above that has commented....have you found any relief yet?

I am a 37 year old female with much the same symptoms as the rest of you. Right flank pain that goes from the rib cage towards the pelvis / hip area. Most of the time the pain is burning with an occasional stabbing pain that can last for a couple of hours. It seems that nothing I do but bed rest or relax in the recliner seems to keep the worse of it at bay.

It started around May of this years and I thought that in July when I had emergency surgery to remove a kidney stone that was too large to enter the bladder that I had found my problem.  I have seen every doctor that my primary has sent me too.  MRI of spine normal, several ultrasounds including pelvic all normal, ct scans of abdominal all normal.  x-rays of the back normal and well women exam came back normal. 

I am going crazy because of this it feels like the doctors and my family think I am imaginng the pain or that it is caused by addiction to pain killers.  My father even told me that I am addicted to the pain meds.  What he doesn't know is that I only take them when I am in extreme pain. My husband is very supportive but this is really affecting my life.  I will update this post if I find a cause of my condition.

Did anyone ever find out what the issue was? Please come back and give updates.

I have read thru all of the pages and I noticed several things.

Mostly all of the people had had kidney stones in the pasts, and usually ovarian cysts too. Some had endometriosis as well. They were all told the pain could not be related to their kidneys. Well guess what? Most of you all have those issues and all have pain. Merely a coincidence when 20 people have the same symptoms? Maybe, but doubtful.

A few people had this pain from slipped discs/muscle strain/PT related things, so that's another avenue.

And one person said: It turns out I am adrenal insufficient. I have an auto-immune disorder that attacks the endocrine glands. I am now on hydracortisone for the rest of my life. If I forget to take my hydracortisone my right flank starts to ache and the longer I go without the steroids the more it hurts. If it goes on longer the ache turns into a burn." Well I have begun to feel a pressure that's turning into a slow ache and I will tell you right now that I have an autoimmune disorder (vitiligo) and more autoimmune disorders go hand in hand with each other. I am also being treated for adrenal insufficiency and am probably hypothyroid, still in the process of doing tests with a dr. I also have estrogen imbalance.

Your body all works together, when something is wrong in one area, your body is NOT going to run perfectly fine otherwise, it will have a domino effect on other areas of your health until you figure it out. There are a lot of potential places to search for your problem in these threads, you just need to be attentive to what people say, and mostly importantly HAVE A DR THAT LISTENS TO YOU. Also try to also have dr that deals in functional medicine, because they TREAT BY LISTENING TO YOUR SYMPTOMS. If your dr isn't listening to you or is telling you what you're not feeling, get a new one. Life is too short to waste being in pain. I don't know what the answer is, but I know there are too many similarities in everyone's posts to ignore.

So do all those tests and then do some more, and BE YOUR OWN DOCTOR. Your dr is only human and only there for advice and there to help guide you, but you must be proactive about your health and make your own decisions! Good luck to all, I pray that we all find some answers to help us in these threads. Read carefully.