I am a 39 year old female who has a history of kidney stones and UTI's . I have been experiencing sharp stabbing pains in both sides of my back around the kidney area the pain is worse after urinating but it feels different than past symptons I has with my UTI or stones. Could this still be one of those or something different. I have no burning sensation but my urine has a strong smell to it but not everytime. I recently started taking a multivitamin could this be the cause.

Good day. Usually, when pain occurs, it is a sign of urinary tract infection. The only things that you can do in that case is to try to recognize infection symptoms to determine if you do have a urinary tract infection you have, or just visit your doctor and consult him about this, do a bunch of tests. But generally, burning after urination is a sign that you should go to see your doctor and if you also notice dark urine or cloudy urine, you will probably want to see a doctor soon, so I always say, observe your urine whenever you get up of the toilet.  Your doctor probably will prescribe antibiotics to treat a urinary tract infection.

I just had a UTI that turned into a bladder infection, I took my meds and all things have been going good. Lately though my urine has a strong smell and dark color. There's no burning when I urinate so i don't think it's another UTI, but I've been having pain in my right side/lower back, the kidney area. It's constant but it becomes less throbbing and more sharp after I urinate. I started taking vitamin C pills but i'm not sure thats it, do you think it's the same thing?

I have exactly the same problems as those above. I am a 20 year old male. Healthy, fit and athletic, running a decent, not overly stressful job or anything, and i can't determine by myself what the cause is...

Can anyone provide me with an answer??

It sounds to me like you've got a kidney infection especially if you are having pain on one side like that. In either case, this is not a problem that will take care of itself so please go see your doctor as soon as possible so that you can get it fixed. Your doctor will probably put you on a course of treatment of antibiotics. Please keep us posted!

I agree see a doctor immediately. I had a kidney infection once, and was bleeding from it. I had to go meet my doctor at the ER for treatment.

:-)

What happens if you are pregant and right after you pee it hurts?

i am 5 weeks

I have the exact same pain on my right side, and it only happens occasionaly, there is no burning but my urine smells strong, the last 3 days I went without eating any sugar or sweets and now I think it has stopped, but just in case I am heading to the urgent care or ER tonite. I keep you posted. :$

I've been having kinda the same pain but mine is in my lower back and goes to both sides to the right side more... and comes and goes during the day time.. at bed time after lying for a few hours sleeping the pain gets a lot worse so bad i cant sleep or find any releif.. anyone have any ideals what could be causing this?

I have a real bad sensitiy after peeing.. I also have pain in my right side plus back .. It hurts to walk, sit , or anything.. The pain get worse after using the bathroom.. After using the bathroom I have seen blood... I was told it sounded like I have a real bad kidney infection, I have been drinking alot of water but its not helping.. I don't know what else to do except go to the er . :'(

I am experiencing similar symptoms to those above. I have passed kidney stones twice, am 35 years old and female. I am actually in the middlee of a 24 hour urine collection. Yes the urine is cloudy and yes there is sediment.  I know some sediment is normal, but how much, I do not know. Anyway, it does not hurt when I urinate, but afterwards especially the hour afterwards I feel pain and sensitivity especially on my right side. I will say that I have chronic pain on my right side from 2 auto accidents, but this pain was either exasserbated or different. I know I'll find out the results in 1.5 weeks, but I don't have a fever, sweats, or similar symptoms that I did with kidney stones in the past, no burning and no travelling of the pain from the back around to the side at this point. Any suggestions?

I have been having issues for 4 years. I get this pain every month and it sometimes only happens once a month or can occur 4 times a month. I experience symptoms of pain in my right side, in the back, to the front and goes down to my upper right thigh. The pain wakes me up in the middle of the night, once I urinate it is worst. I went to the doctor several times and I found a urologist in Tallahassee who said I had hydronephrosis. I wore a stint on my right side for 6 months, had it removed and the pain didn't start happening again until 6 months later. So since I have moved, I went to a new urologist and he said it's not hydronephrosis, that he believes that has been corrected, but want's to do exploratory surgery (ugh). No body has really been able to diagnosis this pain I have and it hasn't ever gone away. Funny I have a kidney stone in my left kidney and it doesn't bother me. 

I had Many kidney stones and the doctor could not determin why. I stopped the milk, cheese, etc, but still had stones. The doctor told me that he personally believed that kidney stones came also from dark collored drinks. (pepsi, coke, chocolate tab, etc.) I stoped drinking dark collored soda and chocolates and did notmget another one. also when I drink coffie now, I start getting pain in my kidney. I drink 1/2 of a small cup once a month or so and OK, but if I drink a whole cup....pain.

Hey have you read about calcium deficiency causing kidney stones? I would definitely read about it. Your blood test may also show high calcium but that actually can indicate a deficiency

It's me again….had the exploratory surgery and wasn't able to find anything. But the exploratory surgery wasn't for my kidneys, it was for my reproductive organs. My urologist was for sure thinking it had to do with gyn because it's a monthly issue. Now the urologist want's to do a IVP, so I go in after Christmas to have this done.