I need to have colon surgery to remove a polyp. The doctor said he would do lapascopic to find the tatoo done during colonoscopy, but would then do a standard incision to remove polyp. He said he would remove 4-6 inches. I said I am moving next month, so need to wait until August. He said the tatoo may be faded by then, so he would remove all the right colon. Why would he do a lapascopic procedue, and then a standard incision? He said the resection cannot be done lapascopic. Shouldn't I get another tatoo, rather than have all the colon removed? He said it doesn't matter if it's 6 in or 12 in. removed. Has anyone had this experience, where the doctor does a laposcoptic procedue, with the intention of doing a standard incision?

Wow, you may not find the correct spot again if you wait.  That is why he is wantingj to take more of the bowel..  It is easier to find the tatoo with the laparoscope so you don't have to pull out all the bowel and run it.  and then have to push it all back in again.  how long of an incision is he telling you?  he can see it with the laparoscope, pull out only the segment with the polyp tattoo and resect it and pop it back in without alot of trouble.  using a smaller incision.  Ask your surgeon why ? Good luck!