hi-my mom had a laprascopic colon resection 9-18-09 in hospital 2 days-had to go back to er on 3rd day-was throwing up green bile-they said x-ray looked like partial blockage-they decided to let colon rest-(they took 18 inches of her colon due to a flat polp they could not remove when she had her colonoscopy-it was benign but surgeon recommended it come out) my mom is 75 in good health-lifts weights walks daily. they gave her iv fluids and compazine as she was so nauseated since the day of her surgery-she had 2 big bowel movements in the hospital and felt wonderful and nausea went away-they took off iv fluids and wanted to she how did would do without the compazine and fluids-she left the hospital the next day-and the day after that she did not feel so good-little appetite-had a cup of coffee-it flipped her stomach-still weak and tired-drinking warer and ensure-oh and she had terrible gas-my question is it has been 9 days post op-when will she start to want to eat and feel better-the drs never talk about post-op treatment-its like you have to fly by the seat of your pants-i know everyone is different and heals differently-but is this normal for her to go so long without eating hardly anything? she has daily bm's-help anyone-thanks cindy

Hm, if it's been this long since she's really eaten, I would talk to her doctor about it to find out what else you can do. I'm not sure if she's not eating based on symptoms or just habit, but she should eat to keep her strength up. When can you talk to a physican about it?