I had a colon resection about 4 years ago and am factor 5 positive. Will either of these keep me from having bariatric surgery to lose weight? I am a 60 year old female.

Hi bookheart, I'm not a medical professional so please just realize that what I'm telling you is a guess, but as far as I can tell, that would not be a big deal for you to go through bariatric surgery. How long have you been diagnosed as factor V positive? Have you been that way for long and receiving treatment for it? Please let me know!

I had a portion of my large intestine and rectum removed when I had colon cancer. It was a complete success - no radiation or chemo was needed.

The procedure is like that for any other major surgery. I was in the hospital for 8 days. They want to be sure all your plumbing is working and you have a bowel movement before they will discharge you.

The first couple of days I couldn't read or make sense of movies - the pain meds made me too stupid. And food tasted terrible. Not the hospital's fault, I think the anesthesia affects the taste buds for a while afterward. But the last few days I felt just fine and was totally bored. You will have to take it easy for the next few weeks once you are home.

*** edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed