Hi, my father is 56 years old and he is preparing for colectomy which will happen in the next few days. I am very worried because of this operation but in the same time I know he has to do it because cancer has to be removed. I would like to know something more about complications which may appear after colonectomy.

Hi, as you know colectomy is not so easy operation but it is the way how to help your father to fight cancer. After colectomy there are several complications which may appear. He may experience diarrhea, bladder complications, sexual dysfunction and urinary urgency. However all these conditions may be treated but if your father experience shortening of breath or strong pain in abdomen he has to see his his doctor as soon as possible.

Hi there,
Did you mean that he is scheduled for colectomy? I think that you just misspelled few letters in the name. However the colectomy is a procedure that is not simple and it has several possible complications that might occur during and after the procedure. For instance the bleeding and blood cloth in legs are possible to happen during the surgery. Infections are always possible with surgery along with injury to other organs near his colon. His bladder and small intestine can easily get injured. He can also have tears in the sutures that reconnect the remaining parts of his digestive system. I hope this helped you in any way.
All the best,
Danella