Users comments and reviews on article Endometrial Biopsy Procedure by DannyElle

I am 51 years old and post menopausal. I didn't have a period for 2 years and all of a sudden in November I started bleeding without any warning. It did not last long, just streamed out and stopped. I went to my gyn and my papsmear was ok and then she did the biopsy, it was ok. The bleeding stopped for a couple of weeks in December but started back. Now it comes and goes once or twice a week and I have seen blood clogs. I am having some cramping on the left side even when the bleeding stops. Sometimes the blood is pink with mucus. Is this normal?

Hi there, it looks like you posted over a year ago at this point but I don't think what you were experiencing is normal. I hope that you were able to get treatment for it and it'd be nice to hear if you're doing well now or not. Did you have to undergo an endometrial biopsy?

Hello, Just found this site. I am an almost 50 (in OCt.), female who started having periods at age 11, and pretty regular until about 2 yrs or so ago. Then started every other month, then about a year about it went 9 months with no period. In Dec of '08, I had a huge "blowout" period. Then nothing. I was told by my GYN or office staff that there was nothing they could do until I had gone a full yr with no period and to just come in for my "annual." Just had that and a pelvic US was ordered which showed hyperplasia and indication for a biopsy. Attempt was made today in office unsuccessful MD said due to closed up cervix?? I'm scheduled for a D&C on the 9th. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Hello,  I am 52 years old and I had a Endometrial Biopsy a day ago and my experience was not very comfortable.  I did not fill any discomfort when given the injection with the anesthestic topical.  However, when my gyn inserted the tube up into the uterus it was very painful.  If felt like a thick 6" needle pierced through my left overy.  Taking deep breaths helped me get through it.  Even through it was a very quick procedure, I would dread having to go through it again.  Maybe I would prefer a valium next time.  I did experience cramps around my left ovary but no pain on my right side.  Bleeding was mild the first day with very mild cramps following the procedure and very little on the second day.  Now just waiting to get my results....

PS:  Don't want to discourage anyone of having this procedure done from my personal experience.  I understand each individual may experience something a little difference as far as how much discomfort they may experience during this procedure.  Seems like I may have experienced a little more discomfort than alot of women. 

Hi everyone. I did my endometrial biopsy today and I must admit it was bearable. I was so nervous last nite. So anxious to get it over. My Gyna gave me three sticks in the uterus. The first injection was ok but the second stick was a bit more intense and the the third was ok. After about 10 mins waiting for it to kick in he proceeded. I felt some cramping as he scraped the uterus but it was bearable. Overall I must say I expected it to be very painful and it was far from that. A bit uncomfortable but certainly not painful. I am so relieved that this is over. Just waiting to get results in two weeks.

Let me just say that having a biopsy was no big deal. I read reviews on it and people totally scared me to death!!! I took a vicodin to calm down and still was scared, when the Dr. came in I cried a little over all the fear I heard. It was totally nothing at all, a little cramping during it and it was over in seconds. Don't be afraid ladies, it's more scary listening to all these stories than the procedure really is. Good luck to everyone!!!

I am a 44 yr old and just had an Endometrial Biopsy yesterday. I was so nervous after reading reviews from others. Mine was a bit more complicated due to my cervix being so tightly closed. so before procedure I was given cytotec to take the night before and morning of procedure( 6 pills vaginally inserted that is used for women to dilate their cervix or soften it )...I must say it worked, the doc had no problem seeing the entrance of cervix to go on with procedure. I was also told my cervix is not straight it curves unlike most women, in either event the procedure took longer than the 10 minute time I was told due to the complexity. I had minimal cramping before and after, the worst part was when they had to dilate the cervix With those clamp dilator tools(I'm sure there's a proper name for this, I apologize)...I didn't even feel the sample being taken, just a lot of pressure....it felt like giving birth all over again!....Although I lasted about 40 mins on table trying to get this over with, all I can say to myself just hurry up because I will not endure this pain at a later date EVER!.... I felt perfectly fine next day after some rest and I say go for it especially if GYN is suggesting it due to abnormal bleeding.

The gynecologist wanted to do endometrial biopsy on me that I refused. First of all, because of the possibility of extreme pain, and secondly, I will have the surgery to remove my endometrial polyp, so I didn't understand why she wanted to put me through extra pain. They can check the cells after the surgery as well. I know that there are women who don't feel much pain during the biopsy procedure, but there are many who experience extreme pain. I have never been pregnant, so I had a big chance to have painful procedure. Not to mention that the gynecologist didn't tell me anything about the procedure, just wanted to go ahead with it, like it was a simple, painless exam. Thank god, I used to work as a nurse in a gynecological department as well, so I knew exactly what it involves. When I asked to doctor strait about the pain, cramps and bleeding risks from the biopsy, she lied to my face and said it doesn't cause those. I asked referral to another gynecologist, who will do my surgery as well. Ladies, you don't have to go through pain if you are afraid of it, or you don't want to. You have to speak up, and let the doctors know, that in the 21. century it is not OK to put women through such a pain. If you are  willing, that is fine as well, but when people get sedation for wisdom teeth extractions, then it is not fair, that they don't care for women's pain, emotional well-beings. Doctors always say the cancer word, and women get so scared that they don't care what they have to endure to get the procedure done. You have rights to be treated in dignified and pain free manner, don't forget that! 

I will have to say that I wish I hadn't read these reviews before I went. I just had it done an hour ago, and all I experienced was a little cramping. Nothing unbearable and no where near as painful as described on this site. I was extremely nervous all night and morning and for nothing. (And I am a very anxious person, especially with pain) Just want everyone to know, it is bearable. It took less that 10 minutes. Take the 800mg Motrin before hand.

I just had one yesterday and it was by far the most excruciating pain I have ever felt! It was like being in labor and then some. I ended up white as a ghost and vomiting within a minute of finishing the procedure. Most horrific pain ever!! Never again unless I am sedated.

I had a doctor surprise me with this awful procedure for no good reason. No cancer family history, no abnormal paps. This was truly the worst experience of my life. I bled for days and have pain 10 days later... and counting. Please never let your doctor do this without anisthetic. Even better, hospital anesthesia would be more helpful. This is a brutal procedure. Please heavily consider before having this performed.

I just had a endometrial biopsy this morning. I was a nervous wreck. It wasn't bad at all. Cramping during the procedure and some afterwards along with bleeding. My dr was very nice, talked me through it. She also took 4 samples. I have 4 children so that maybe the difference but it really wasn't horrible.

I had an endometrial biopsy and cannot believe this procedure is done without an anesthetic, at least a twilight sedative or general anesthetic. I believe it is unethical to do this biopsy without an anesthetic.
I have filed a complaint with the dept. head, as my experience was very painful and traumatic. The 800mg Ibuprofen they told me to take did probably nothing.
Lesson learned: I will NEVER have a biopsy done without an anesthetic again.

Let me say this. My dr said it was painful for about 10 seconds. He gave my oxycodone to take before hand. I took it upon myself to also take Xanax. I was relaxed and prepared. But that 10 seconds was unbearable. I don't know who in their right mind would suggest doing this as an in office procedure. A MALE I'M SURE.