Please tell me how effective endometrial ablation as surgical procedure in ending the menstrual flow is. I was on various hormonal therapies, but without success. I am 47 years old, divorced and with no desire to have another child.

Endometrial ablation is a surgical procedure used to eliminate the endometrial lining of the uterus and the purpose is to end your menstrual flow. The success rate for complete cessation of the monthly period is 60% and the menstrual flow is significantly decreased for 30% of patients and this procedure fails in no more than 10% of patients; it does not affect menstrual cramps. There is no need for a hysterectomy. Most of the patients are back to normal in only few days.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD AN ENDOMETRIAL ABLATION THAT SIMPLY DID NOT WORK??? I had the procedure back in October, here it is January and I'm on my third cycle since the procedure. How dissapointing to go through the process, and spend so much money on it, with such bad results. I was just wondering if any other women have experienced failure with this procedure. Thanks

I had this procedure on 1/17/07 and there has been only three days where I have not bleed or been spotting! I have had a tubal ligation 1 1/2 years ago, 2 d&c's and then the ablation. Now I am on birth control! I feel your frustration.

I had the endometrial ablation known as MEA on February 15th. I began my period four days later. My doctor told me that maybe I was just one of the 10% that it did not take. I have now had three cycles since that time and seem to have know significant change in the intensity of my periods! Still flow through a super-plus tampon along with a maxi-pad! I also did not have any polyps or fibroids prior, just seven days of heavy periods...and I still do.

Unhappy too...and out about $5000

I had this procedure done in Nov 2005. From February 2006 my periods restarted and were as bad. Now I take medication to control the heavy bleeding every month. Nothing changed for me after this procedure. It is extremely frustrating. I am wondering if this procedure can be re done?

I had my ablation done in March. I bled for 3 weeks after the procedure, no bleeding for 26 days and am now going into my 2nd week of bleeding again. My husband and I are planning on going to Mexico in 3 weeks and I am frustrated with whole thing!

I had my ablation done in December of 2004 and I have only spotted for part of only 1 day since then. Granted I don't feel like myself anymore but I guess that is because I let my bleeding go for so ling that I had to have a blood transfusion. Hopefully I will get back to my old self one day.

I had bad results as well. I had nothing for about 4-5 days after, then bled for almost 6 weeks without stop, had to go onto birth control to just stop that, then went to a 'discharge' ever since. I also went right back to the horrible monthly periods, now they are just twice as long and even heavier if that was possible, and the cramps are more intense and now much to my delight they last almost all month long, not just 4-5 days. What a joke this procedure was and what a joke my specialist was! After about 20 internal exams and countless "Oh it is looking good, a success, no more problems now" I am switching Dr.s, going to get on some meds that work and have the hysterectomy I should have just had in the first place!

I had the NovaSure procedure done in May'07 because I have fibroids and had severe bleeding causing slight anemia.
The procedure was painless and I had no discomfort whatsoever. I have not had a period but I still go through the cycle of symptoms like PMS but not as severe....but no bleeding. I had brown spotting for 3 weeks and then a clear discharge and now nothing; all cured by a panty liner.
My Dr said the lining of my uterus can grow back but not like I had and being that I am 49 by the time it grew back in full I would be in menopause and it would slow down anyway.
What a blessing not having all that blood all over which looked like a massacre in the a.m....better choice for me than a hysterectomy.

I had the procedure 10/31/07, bleed forr 44 days, stopped for 5, just in time to get my period and bleed again for days...the worst part is I have terrible, horrible cramps EVERYDAY. I heard that the body can take 4 to 5 months until you experience the real results of this procedure. I am miserable and as I am waitimg the 4 to 5 months I am looking for a surgeon to perform a hysterectomy...I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO LIVING UTERUS FREE, NO MATTER WHAT SIDE EFFECTS THAT WILL CAUSE ME...WISHING ALL WHO ARE GOING THROUGH THIS GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HEALTH

I am 44 with several endometriosis and a 4 cm fibroid. I have very heavy period, therefore, I had the HydroTherm Endometrial Ablation 1/30/2007. My period has improved slightly initially and it is getting worse again and I am anaemic with Hb of 9. My doctor think the procedure has worked, but my endometrium has re-grown. I am told to do the ablation again and fit the Marina coil at the same time to prevent the re-growth of the endometrial lining. I had the coil fitted before, it was flushed out twice due to the heavy bleeding. I was feeling low and put on weight when the coli was fitted. I am not keen on the coli, but felt that’s the only option. My gynaecologist told me it is very complicated to perform hysterectomy on me due to my several endometriosis. Does anyone know whether there is an increased risk of doing the ablation again? I am on Zoladex injection to thin the lining of the womb.

I had my ablation done in September 2007. I felt amazing afterwards, no pain, no bleeding. Forward to March 16, 2008....bleeding started again and it is extremely bad with a large number of fairsized clots. Today is even worse than yesterday. I can't take hormones due to the fact that I'm at a higher stroke risk due to suffering from hemiplegic migraines.
I can't afford 8 weeks off work for the full surgery. This is frustrating.

Hi, can someone tell me how much the ablation costs? I realize it differs from region to region but I cannot get ANY answer from my insurance company, or my doctor! I am supposed to pay $300 for a consultation and THEN she will tell me how much the surgery costs! I need to know if it's even something we can consider, since we will have to pay a percentage ourselves. Thanks much.

it depends on where you live mine was like 7000 but i have seen people pay as much as 20000