Hi, I’m 33 and mother of two children, and I have big problem concerning my periods. I just bleed too much, sometimes even 2 times a month. I went to see my gynecologist about it and she suggested me to have a procedure called endometrial ablation, she said it would stop the bleeding. I would like to know more about it, any information will be appreciated, thanks.

Endometrial ablasion is fairly new procedure in gynecology. Its main purpose is to help women like yourself, with abundant bleeding during cycles. Inside uterus there is a special internal epidermal layer that detaches from the wall of the uterus every month causing bleeding, its purpose is to feed the embryo during pregnancy and to give it protection. If embryonal implantation doesn’t happen endometrium simply peels off from the uterus wall. The main idea behind endometrial ablasion is removing that layer called endometrium, with no endometrium bleeding stops and is no longer a problem during periods. Its done with a special kind of a laser that burns endometrium removing it from the uterus, its totally painless and its done either with general or epidural anesthesia. However you should keep in mind that after the procedure you will not be able to have children anymore, if youre not planning more children then endometrial ablasion would be the right thing to do.

Im 21 years old. I have 2 children and was just informed from my GYN doctor that I may have to have the ablasion procedure done. I do not plan to have any more children. However, my Mother and Grandmother, both had a hysterectomy when they were 21. Any suggestions on what to do?

Hello~

I am 26 and am in the same situation. I am told to try this prior to having a hysterectomy because you don't want to go through that now especially at such a young age. good luck and let me know what you find out!!

I HAD THE ABLATION DONE, I'M 37 YEARS OLD. I RECOMMEND HAVING IT DONE WITH AN EPIDURAL OR BEING PUT UNDER, I HAD VERSED(WHICH IS AN AMNESIA DRUG) GIVEN TO ME AND THEY DIDN'T GIVE ME ENOUGH SO I DID FEEL THEM BURN ME. IT HURT. AFTERWARDS EXPECT ABOUT 6 HOURS OF PAINFUL CRAMPING, PAIN MEDS AND A HOT PACK ON YOUR STOMACH SHOULD WORK, HOWEVER MY STOMACH DIDN'T AGREE WITH THE PAIN MEDS:) THEN THERE'S THE DRAINAGE WHICH LASTS A FEW WEEKS, BUT IS VERY MINIMAL. I'M HAVING MY FIRST PERIOD SINCE THE PROCEDURE A MONTH AGO AND IT'S LIGHT. NOTHING COMPARED TO BEFORE WHEN I'D GO THROUGH ABOUT 60 TAMPONS IN 7-10 DAYS. I AM HOPING MY ANEMIA GETS BETTER SOON.

AS FOR A HSTERECTOMY I'D TRY THE ABLATION FIRST. IF YOU DO HAVE A HYSTERECTOMY THEN YOU MAY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR BLADDER FALLING LATER IN LIFE AND NEEDING TO GO IN FOR ANOTHER SURGERY TO HAVE THAT FIXED.

GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT YOU CHOOSE.

I had a thermachoice abalation some 2 yrs ago for heavy periods. Was in severe pain after proceedure and had infection develop three days later. Periods now very light. Have for last 12 months had pelvic pain on and off, very sore and a constant discharge (pale green) for several months. Have seen gynae doctor swabs all normal. Have had course of Flaygl to no avail. Feel dreadful and tired. Now being put forward for hysterectomy as last resort. Is this the right route to take I am very confused, and worried.

I had an endometrial ablasion done a year ago. After the procedure I had minimal pain ( I actually needed no pain medication), a few small cramps and a light discharge for about 3-4 weeks. I would highly recommed this procedure if you are experiencing heavy periods and aresure you want no more children. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good Luck.

I am having the NovaSure procedure done very soon.
The doctor would like to do it in her office instead of out
patient. She gives you drugs and uses a local but you are awake. Wanted to know if anyone has had it done in the office!
Thanks!

So ur considering an ablation. Sounds so great, no more periods that last forever. I had one done because I would have my cycle for months on end even with taking b.c. and having a d/c. My insurance at the time refused a hysterectomy I was too young and may want more kids. I was 25 married and had 2 kids. I had had two doctors say I needed the hysterectomy instead i ended up with the ablation.
I end up getting a bad infection which was painful and took weeks to clear. But then for awhile things were good, very little monthly cramps some spotting. was told I may not get pregnant but if I did it would be problematic. Now 5 yrs later what they say may happen has. The endo lining has grown back here there and everywhere. I have what they call ablation syndrome - the lining grew back but inwards. Causing sever pain, cramps, days I cant get out of bed. I do have times when I bleed for 5 days two or three times a month. When I dont bleed the lining that still sheds does so on the inside leaving the blood to pool in my abdomen waiting for my body to reabsorb it.
The way I see it IF YOU ARE DONE WITH HAVING KIDS cause u cant have them after ablation- just go for a partial hysterectomy, this is where they remove the uterus only leaving ur cervix and ovaries behind. why end up in my situation I am now gong under again to have the uterus removed as it should have been 5yrs ago.

I HAD AN ABLATION 3 DAYS AGO AND IT WAS DONE IN THE PHYSICIANS OUTPATIENT AREA, I HAD VALIUM, PERCOCET AND A SHOT OF TORADOL 1-1 1/2 HRS. BEFORE THE PROCEDURE AND AN ANTI NAUSEA DRUG, THE DOCTOR NUMBED MY CERVIX AND DIALATED IT. THAT PORTION TAKES THE LONGEST APPROX 20 MIN - 1/2 HOUR, THEN THE BALLOON ABLATION TOOK A MERE 8 MINUTES. MY DOCTOR TREATED ME FOR FERTILITY FOR 10 YEARS AND AFTER 3 GIRLS LATER AND BAD ENDOMETRIOSIS WE OPTED FOR THIS PROCEDURE. TODAY ONLY 3 DAYS LATER AND BACK AT MY DESK I FEEL IT WAS A GREAT SUCCESS, HE TALKED ME THROUGH THE ENTIRE PROCEDURE AND MY HUSBAND WAS ABLE TO BE THERE TO HELP MAKE IT A RELAXED ATMOSPHERE. I WILL RECOMMEND THIS PROCEDURE TO ANYONE WITH THOUGHTS OF HAVING A HYSTERECTOMY BEFORE REMOVAL OF PARTS THAT ARE NEEDED FOR HORMONES LATER. GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO HAVE THE SAME OPTION AND GREAT DOCTOR THAT I HAD.

I had the NovaSure treatment done in my Dr.s Office as an outpatient. It was fantastic. I never felt a thing except the stretching feeling below while she inserted the instrument. It only took a couple minutes and I never had any difficulties later. I did ask for good pain meds before the procedure and she gave me some valuim and something for anxioty to take about an hour before I got to the office. I had someone drive me. I came home and slept for the rest of the day and took the next day off work but I was back to work on the second day after the surgery.

I no longer have a period and it's wonderful. I used to bleed very heavy and had a problem with overflow worries all the time. My periods were making me very tired and weak. I had no plans to have children so this surgery was the ideal solution to my problems. Today I feel great!

Good luck to you. NovaSure works! :-D

I am a 40 year old woman and I had the ablation performed on me after the birth of my 2nd child 2 years ago. I have not had a period or any problems since the procedure. I was put under and also given a spinal so I had no pain what so ever. The doctor also tied my tubes so there is no chance of pregnacy. I however did not have a big problem with my periods before, I chose to do this so I would not have periods any more. I am very happy with the outcome.

I'm 37 years old and had the ablation performed three weeks ago. I had a tubligation four years ago and since then I've had a horrible cycle. I would cramp, bleed heavily, and would soil through my clothing at least once a month. If you are accustom to cramps and a painful cycle the procedure is a breeze. It took 12 mins. max and with good pain medication I was able to go back to work in two days. I recommend to anyway having a heavy cycle looking for relief.

I had the ablation done back in August of 08. I had very little bleeding after, would just call it discharge. We are what, 5 months into it and no bleeding, but I have put on 20 lbs and am very bloated.
I have a lot of pelvic pain but nothing is wrong? I don't' know how to fix this pain when the drs says there is nothing going on.
I was excited to have no more periods and the bleeding from my fibroid has not come back, so that took care of all of that.
I just want to know if anyone is having the same issues that I am.
How do you get the weight off and the bloating to stop???

I had the ablation done yesterday (Novasure), had done under general anesthesia at the hospital, I feel worse from being put under than my uterus being ablated. Neck, throat, legs and whole body hurts than my girl parts.
I am on fairly good pain meds for the weekend, and should be back to work on Monday.
I asked several nurses at the hospital about having this done in the dr office and they all told me that was NUTZ and no doctor should perform this in their office...too risky!
I am looking forward to getting off the darn hormones and getting my life back!