Hi, could anyone tell me more about endometrial biopsy? My gynecologist wants to check some changes in endometrium, and he needs to do this procedure.

An endometrial biopsy is a procedure done to determine whether chances in tissue are of malignant nature or not. It is performed by removing a small sample of the lining of the uterus, which presents endometrium. The sample is further examined under a microscope for abnormal cells. If cancerous conditions is detected on time appropriate steps can be taken to have it cured. There are a few techniques applied for taking sample, and the most frequently used are: suction of a small amount of endometrial tissue from the uterus, curette, where the sample is scraped and collected it into a container and Vabra aspiration, an electric suction device (aspirator).

I was FREAKED out by this, but had to get it done because I need to have an ablation. I was very VERY nervous. My sister had one done and she said 'oh its not that bad, just like a really bad pinch'. I think I would have felt better if she said it was nothing. I am such a baby LOL But I sucked it up and went in. It wasn't bad at all, the worst part was that bird beak thing they use for paps. Other than that it was more of a nausiating feeling and then it was done. I was in and out withing 10 minutes. And that included wait time, undressing and redressing!

They do the procedure to make sure there are no abnormal cells INSIDE the uterus not just on the cervix (which is done by a pap I believe). I had to have it done to make sure there was no pre-cancer, just in case.