Does anyone know if there is an increased risk for cancer after having a thermal ablation? I had one two years ago for irregular and heavy bleeding and now, my Pap has turned up suspiscious. Any help would be appreciated

I am scheduled to have an ablation on the 13th of December using the novasure method. I am also very interested to find out if there is an increased risk of cancer post ablation.

Three years ago I had an endomitreal ablation because of hevy bleeding.
Shortly after the ablation I started having extremely abdominal pain for 2-4 hours a day and no bleeding. During these two years I went to diffrent doctors and exames almost weekly with no diagnosis. Including laproscopy. One day I started bleeding to death literally and ended up in the hospital getting transfusions. After, a hysterectomy I found out I had stage two endomiterial cancer. I am wondering about the connection between cancer and ablation myself. If bleeding is the problem I would just opt for surgery since there is no test for some endomitreal cancers.

did you have a biopsy befor your ea to rule out cancer? some dr dont do all the proper testing before had you need a transvaginal sonogram and a biopsy sometimes even more if you have other things going on

my friend had an ablation 5 years ago and was not told of the increased risk of uterine cancer. 5 years later she started spotting and then one day woke up and covered in blood. She had a robotic hysterectomy  her path showed abnormal cells. She had the hysterectomy because she was positive for uterin cancer. They aslo robotically removed lymph nodes in her groin. Whe she went back to Yale they removed the cathater and told her she has stage three uterin cancer and it has metasticized. She blames her ob /gyn for not being more thorough when she went for paps - ed&c etc. They did not tell her the risks when she had the ablation done. knowing the risks she would never have done the ablation . She is strong willed I hope she pulls through this and her family is devestated......

I agree, Charlene. Your gynecologist must be proactive when dealing with your uterus and endometrial lining. I have always had heavy periods that last 7 days. However, in Dec 2012, I started bleeding, in what I thought was my normal cycle. I didn't stop bleeding for two months. Naturally, after the first month of continuous bleeding (heavier bleeding than normal, at that), I started panicking and thinking, "Oh, this will go away. It's just nerves, stress, (fill in the blank)". I made an appt with my ob/gyn in Jan 2013 for an appt on Feb 4, 2013. At this visit, she did my annual pap, std testing, and all the other testing that they do (they took a c**p load of blood, that's for sure). During this meeting, I told her about the excessive bleeding. She immediately started asking me questions about my very last period, prior to Dec 2012. She ordered an ultrasound for the following Monday (2/11) and an endometrial biopsy (emb) for that Wednesday (2/13). The EMB was a bit uncomfortable; however, bearable. I was a nervous wreck from the moment she completed the biopsy until my follow up meeting with her a month later, on March 11, 2013. She did mention after the biopsy that, if there was something found-tumors, cancer, etc-I would know within 7-10 business days of the procedure. I was called about being anemic, which was to be expected, and asked to buy an OTC iron supplement (I purchased Feosol); however, nothing else was said. So, on March 11, 2013, she did another pelvic exam and explained the procedure that she would perform to remedy my heavy and long menstrual cycles - emb. She said that there was no cancer, tumors, polyps, abnormal growths founds. That is when I finally breathed a sigh of relief. Then she explained about the ablation procedure and now I am all nervy again. Just today, I got a call from the nurse telling me about my pre-op date (4/10), date of surgery (4/19), and my follow up appt (4/29). I have never had a major or semi-major surgery/procedure before where I am put to sleep (minus a colonoscopy I had in Oct 2009, in which you are on more of a twilight medicine). Another dilemma I am dealing with is, I want to have another child (I have a daughter that is 8). However, I'm not sure if that's with the man that I am currently with. As a side note: My doctor did ask me if I wanted to have another child or not before this procedure and at the time, I told her No, not really. The more I think about it, though. I am leaning towards wanting another baby. I am 37, will be 38 in Oct. I am feeling like I am too old to deal with a baby. Thoughts of changing diapers, feedings, and no sleep just don't sound all that appealing.

I had an ablation done 4 years ago. She sent my linings off for biopsy. She said that they came back pre-cancerous postitive, but assured me that it was just in the lining of the uterus and that she had gotten it all. I go back every 6 months becuase my lining has grown back, and its thicker than she likes. I JUST had a biopsy done on Tuesday (6/10/2014). I think that there is a link~but I think the ablation is one treatment before trying hysterectomies and/or readiation or chemo. I think the next step, for me, IS hysterectomy. I am 33 years old, with 2 kids. Both were c-section delievered. I signed the papers asking her to cut and tie my tubes when I had my second child~that was ALMOST 8 years ago

I had a novasure ablation 5 years ago, my doctor did a biopsy before hand. The doctor was Dr. Marley from Ann Arbor mich. I've had great results, spotted twice afterwards and that was the end of my periods. I was 47 when I had the precedure.

My experience was nearly identical to yours - ablation 4 months before turning 48 (in 2012), after an endometrial biopsy. A year later, I had slight bleeding once a month for two months, and then nothing more, ever. That was considered normal. The last 2 and a half years have been good. Don't regret it. 48 is a good age to have it done when needed, it seems.

I had an ablation in 2014 at the age of 48 due to abnormal bleeding. My lining sloughed off over a 4 week period, then nothing since. I agree that 48 is a great age to have it done.

I had a ablation quite a few years ago and just got told i have stage 1 endo cancer. My geno never told me any thing before the procedure

I had the Novasure procedure done a year ago. Now, I had to have lots of tests etc because I was bleeding unusually.
My suggestion...... do not do the ablation.

Don’t do it, I had nothing but problems after it. My periods still come, now with added cramping. Constant spotting etc. Also constant worries about cancer due to unclear readings in ultrasound because of scarring!