Can you tell me which endometrial ablation procedure is best, meaning most effective and safe. My doc performs the Gynecare thermachoice uterine balloon therapy system, but it seems through my research that Novasure may be best. What do you think? I am looking for an unbiased opinion.

i think novasure is the fastest and most effective with no periods after but i have heard the balloon is really effective to lighten your periods

I vote thermachoice. My doctor actually does both procedures. He said that thermachoice is a balloon therapy system that they fill up with hot water and novasure is a little metal rod that pops open inside the uterus and chars the inside of your uterus for 2 minutes. He said that novasure was faster but thermachoice had a little bit better of a record for being safe. ?? I opted for the thermachoice because I figure I have 3 kids and if there were any problems with the procedure I can't handle being out of commission for too long!!

p.s. I went to both websites and the novasure even looks kinda scary! Have you seen it??

Novasure appears to be more effective, safer, and faster. Novasure uses radio frequency and is able to get deeper than balloon therapy, which simply relies on boiling water and high pressure.... Ouch.... Novasure on average takes 90 seconds, while Thermachoice takes 10 minutes. Quicker procedure time has been associated with much less cramping.... My doc told me about a paper the Mayo Clinic just published where patients with Thermachoice had much higher failure rates that patients with Novasure.

i am 36, and had 2 to 3 periods a month, and finally had thermachoice done feb 3rd of 09 and i have a bicornuate uterus, and i personally think, that this procedure was horrific for my case, since i have two horns, or two seperate uterus's, the doctor and the representative from thermachoice said that my case was the worst they have seen, but the PAIN WAS SEVERE! since i had to have it done twice because of my deformaty, and it has been almost two months now, the first few days the smell from it was terrible, and i had watery blood tinged liquid leaking out, after a few weeks of that, the leakage turned orange, and then went to yellow, and now its down to almost nothing, i am exited that soon i will be able to enjoy life again, and if i was asked if i would do it all over again, i would, even tho the pain was like torture for me, i would do it all over again, but sooner.

I am writing on every single Novasure sight I can find to warn you guys! I'm 55 yrs old & had the Novasure ablation done about a year ago. Since then, I had serious pelvic pain, yet no bleeding. I assumed everything was fine and that the pain came from something other than the ablation. I went in to my gyno who did a hysteroscopy & She said because it was a radio frequency burn the Novasure had scarred only the bottom half the endometrium and caused it to stick together. She said the top of the uterus was still bleeding heavily & it couldn't get out through the rest of the uterus that was stuck together. She said she was glad to have seen it because now I have to get yearly hysteroscopys to make sure I don't get uterine cancer!!!! Thank God I went and saw her!! I will warn everyone I know NOT to get a Novasure ablation! I don't know anything else about the other types of ablations, but ask your gynos about whether or not it will cause the uterus to stick to itself!!

thermachoice has been heaven.... i feel like i am a new person down there.it has changed my life periods lasts maybe half a day compared to two months ....i experienced cramps right after the procedure but only then. i would advise this procedure before a hystorectomy

I had my thermachoice procedure 2 weeks ago and am feeling great. I was due my period this week, but it never came ! I suffered fatigue for a few
days after the surgery as I had a general anaesthetic. I also had yellowish
watery discharge, but was told it was because blisters had formed after the procedure and was normal. So far so good. I would recommend this to others suffering from heavy periods. XD

I had the Thermachoice III done about six weeks ago. I experienced no cramping. Originally I was to have the NovaSure done, but I decided to change doctors. My new doctor recommended the Thermachoice III. She said the results were about the same. I had a bloddy discharge longer than I expected. It was determined I had an over growth of bacteria/an infection which I was told is common and was put on flagyl. I experienced side effects and was glad when I was finally off of the medicine. After finishing the medicine the discharge went away. Now I have started my period. I had hoped not to again have a period. This period has been heavy which I definitely did not expect. I have spoken with the doctor and she told me that this can happen, but it should get better. I am a bit confused and don't know what to expect. Has anyone else experience heavy periods after Thermachoice III? Do the periods eventually go away?

I am considering having the Thermachoice done. It looks like this is the best way to go. I noticed here that none of you have said anything about sex drive or libido. Have you noticed any changes? Is it better, worse or the same?

I am considering having this procedure. I noted that all here that have had it have been pleased with the results but I dind't see where anyone said anything about libido or sex drive. Does it affect your sex drive or has it stayed the same?

I assist in both procedures at physician office"s. Please be aware of the different uses for these two products. Thermachoice produces very painful cramping post-procedure. Your physician may not either know this or tell you. If you do not have a large uterine cavity or fibroids, I recommend Novasure.

I had Thermachoice ablation done 6 weeks ago. I had minimal cramping only on the same day as procedure, and the discharge only lasted two days. No period, no spotting , no nothing for 6 weeks!! After living with 2 week long periods my whole life, I wish they had this 20 years ago. I even had periods the first few months of my pregnancies :-( It has not affected sex drive, if anything , the freedom of no periods has allowed for a much more spontaneous and frequent love life. I'm in heaven! :-D I think the secret might have been I was bleeding heavily the day of surgery, so my MD did a D&C first, then the ablation.That's just a theory ,I could be wrong. All I care about are the results , which have surpassed any expectations.

I had the Novasure ablation procedure when I was 36 after having my 3 children and having my periods change drastically! I had no cramping or discharge after the prcedure and even had to call to make sure that my Dr. really did the procedure. I have not had any periods in 7 years and would reccomend this procedure to anyone that has a problem with their periods but wished not to have a histerectomy!

Thank god they have this for those of us that have period issues late in life! :-)

I had Thermachoice on 10/28/09. My procedure was scheduled for late in the day. I was originally supposed the have "her option" the week prior but the machine malfunctioned. My doctor then decided we should go this route. I was a little uncomfortable during the procedure but I think it was because there was a slight problem numbing a section multiple times. My doctor like everyone to be in a little pain as possible. she prescribe me a few things to relax me before the procedure. Once everything was numb I did feel the heat, I honestly think you need to put yourself in a mental zone and just let it happen.

It was not until about an hour after I left her office when actual pain set in. I can honestly say the 1st night was terrible, but if you stay on top of the pain with your meds you will be fine.

It has only been 48 hours since my procedure and I have only had a couple of clearish fluid gushes. Not sure if more is going to happen. I hope this works. I am kind of bracing for the flood gates to open. That stuff has to go somewhere. Right?