Users comments and reviews on article Using tampons: Facts and Myths by MariAnne

Did you know that 90% of plumbing problems are caused by flushing tampons down the toilet? Clogged toilets lead to unscheduled maintenance calls and time consuming cleanups. Tampons can cause blockages and expensive pipe repairs. Blocked lateral lines which run from homes to sanitary sewer systems can cause back ups into basements and flood them with untreated waste. Tampons do not biodegrade in the short amount of time that they spend in the sewage treatment system. They get caught on tree roots which grow in the sewers and then cause huge blockages. Plus if they do arrive at waste water treatment plants (and are called white rats) they are removed during preliminary treatment and hauled to landfills. The only thing that belongs down the toilet is organic waste and toilet paper!

check out www.scensiblesource.com

Wow, I actually was not aware that tampons did not break down in the toilet and I'm glad that you posted on this! I dind't have any idea, plus I just wanted to learn a little about them. Thanks for the info!

i was wondering if i change my tampon every 2 hours from my usual every 4 hours and seems a bit more. Could this mean i am pregnant?

Thanks for bringing up the information on rayon and dioxin.

Conventional tampons are commonly made from a combination of conventionally grown cotton and rayon. As you point out, the rayon is often treated with hazardous chlorine bleaches that result in dangerous chlorinated toxins being released into the environment. Overtime, these chlorinated toxins can accumulate in the environment. According to the EPA, exposure to minute levels of dioxin, which is a chlorinated toxin, can result in immune system malfunctions, altered endocrine hormone activity, and studies have show a direct link between dioxin exposure in the environment and cancer, birth defects, and reproductive disorders.

You mention cotton tampons in your article, but conventionally grown cotton is normally sprayed with large amounts of pesticides. Organic cotton tampons contain 100% pure cotton grown without pesticides and not bleached with chlorine. Plus, they work just like conventional tampons.

Considering that the average girl/woman will buy more than 11,000 tampons in her lifetime, organic cotton tampons, like those made by Seventh Generation, are a simple but important choice to make a difference.

Women can get more information about organic feminine care at ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

do tampons stop your growth?