Ive had red swollen face on and off for a month now. I get swollen eyelids and under eyes so bad that I sometimes cant see because of the swelling., I also get a red blotchy itchy rash all over my face and behind my ears - nowhere else. I am unable to put any cream on it as it burns. When the swelling goes down the skin goes flaky and blotchy. After a couple of days it flares up again. I also get a slight headache, fatigue and aching joints. I also have been diagnosed with an irregular heart beat and am waiting to see cardiologist.

Is this an allergy???

Get checked out by your doctor. Some of your symptoms are consist with lupus.

Has there been any resolution to this condition?

i have an irregular heartbeat too, and the symptoms on my face, which is how i stumbled over your message. It doesn't sound like lupus- that person has over reacted. We all get aching joints etc- i've been told it's an allergy- maybe even hayfever.

hello there,
well let me tell you i feel your pain. i have had the same problem for the past 4 months, and been in and out of dermatologists, doctors and blood tests. first off my doctor had me tested for lupus, but, it was a no go.fyi, lupus takes on a sort of butterfly rash on your face, but even so, i had the butterfly looking rash-and no lupus. they do however say, that lupus is extremely difficult to detect. so what i suggest is to go to a dermatologist, and get checked out for rosacea, sebborheic dermatitis, allergies and eczema-get some blood work done. i today have the breakout you are referring to. ive always had eczema, but its never looked like this on my face. the behind the ears thing might be the dermatitis, anything on your scalp?? but go in, ask a ton of questions, and dont let them rush you out. i know how upsetting, frusterating, and painful this situation is. if you find out the answers, please post, i would love some direction. also keep in mind, go to a few doctors, bec. each doctor has a different opinion, and most of the time you have to be persistent to get what your trying to find. good luck

i suggest you add HEAPS of Omega3 into your diet..buy some flaxseeds and after a few weeks you should notice the difference..it certainly helped me :-)

21 one years old....never any allergies starting about two weeks ago I started to have very similar symptoms....starting with a red patch under my right eye the next day it spread to my left then gradually throughout the day spreading above my eye lids, causing somewhat of a burning sensation then flaking skin, my lips also began to look red and puffy almost like i had herpes....after continuing to get worse on the 3rd day i went to the ER as my dermatologist could not fit me in, they precribed oral steroids and topical steriod cream to use around my mouth, once i started taking the steroids it all went away...they called it "contact dermatitis" however I never changed any cleansers, make-up, food, alcohol consumption whatsoever ! I washed all make up brushes and bought new makeup.....saw Dermatologist the following Monday but the rash was all cleared so he had nothing to base it on, said to discontinue use of all products and just use Cetaphil and his brand of moisturizer...about two days later i start to get red patches under my eyes again, usually the right eye, then some swelling on my lips which comes and goes about every 2 days, I don't know what's going on or could possibly be causing this ! I stopped drinking white wine which was the only seeming cause of this. This is very frustrating, and causes anxiety because I feel like I never know what my face is going to look like when I wake up, and I don't know whats causing this ! Anyone, advice?

I have the same thing going on, 41 years old and never experienced this before. Have you had any luck finding information on this? Please post. Thanks-

Hi there, I too had the same problem for a whole year and could find no answers at all. Seemed to be aggravated by makeup etc which meant a whole year of going without cosmetics! Quite by accident I found that it cleared up within four days of starting a Vit B group vitamin tablet once a day which I was started taking for another reason! Give it a try, it's done wonders for me!

i'm 24, healthy, and have the exact some thing!! it's driving me nuts. i've tried changing everything to hypo-allergenic including my detergent, have washed things repeatedly, and my eyes look like i've been punched in both. theyre red all around, primarily underneath, with god-awful circles and puffyness (however, the puffyness usually subsides throughout the day). around my mouth its super dryskin that's rough, and red as if i just drank some kool-aid. any suggestions??!! i'm gonna try the b vitamins and see if that works. so far the cortizone cream hasn't been helping, and ive discontinued use of my makeup - even tho i really need it to cover all this up. has anything else worked for people?? thanks!!

My face is swollen, very itchy with a burning sensation. What brought me to the doctor though is the feeling of being in a fog. Thought perhaps I had a sinus infection which was causing me to be miserable. Now there are doing some bloodwork. Ofcourse I read too much about health on the internet and am terrified they'll tell me it's lupus. I sit staring at myself wondering if I have what they call the butterfly rash. My legs are itchy too. Has anyone had problems with their vision?

I have also been suffering with something unexplicable the last 2 years on and off...what started out as a couple of red blotches here and there, to extreme itchiness and sometimes swelling around the eyes. I have been to 2 different dermatologists who both seem to think it is a sun reaction but I am continuing the breakouts even in winter with no sun contact. I too, have always had exczema but never anything at all on my face. My face will tingle and itch and will all of a sudden have a blotch or 2 or 3. They have been treating me with courses of prednisone when it gets really bad but that only surpresses the symptoms and doesn't really get to the root of the problem. Any suggestions out there?

Wow, I've had a similar experience. I had a big outbreak on my lips one day of swollen oozing blisters, which I looked up on the internet and diagnosed as, maybe you can guess, my first outbreak of herpes simplex 1. I was feverish, extremely fatigued, and very emotional --like mental PMS feeling. I spent the week putting Abreva on my swollen lips which did nothing, it spread up on the left side of my face a little and both of my eyes got very swollen. It was very itchy, but with a childhood history of poison ivy, I knew better than to help whatever I had spread. Throughout this ordeal, I am taking every precaution and switching pillowcases daily. I broke up food into little pieces and drank out of a straw to avoid pain and disrupting the blisters. After about a week, my lips were aalmost healed and the area around my eyes and my eyelids were completely swollen- although not as blistery-- it was pink rough skin and an incredible amount of pain and itching. And the Abbreva felt like fire, I had to wash it off, I was losing bunches of eyelashes. I was in so much pain that I went to the ER insisting that I had oral herpes. The doctors insisted that I had shingles. A few days later, I went to a physician and she agreed. I went through A LOT of pain and itching the next week so that made sense. I also had minor spots around my torso, so that confirmed it for me. Although unlike pics I looked at of herpes simplex and shingles, my blisters never got that really red look.

Okay, now is the part where I question the shingles: I got a relapse (swollen eyelids mostly) like a week later, not as painful, but I went back to the doctor to get a diagnosis. She told me I probably didn't have shingles, I was probably just allergic to something. Well I stopped wearing mascara and blistex medix which was the only makeup that I wore. But it didn't really make chronological sense that either product caused it. The night before my outbreak I had eaten some spicy food which burnt my lips, but I had given up spicey food the next day.Another doctor told me that I may have had shingles brought on by herpes at the same time. Since then, I had a few minor outbreaks on my lips. I would put a little Vaseline on them, and they would clear up. These outbreaks were so minor that they weren't even visible to anyone but me. These outbreaks were not red, they are yellowish or have no discolorization. Why do my reoccurring "cold sores" not have the infamous red cold sore look? I came to an independent conclusion that maybe I have herpes 2 ("genital" herpes) on my face (I had engaged in activities that could have caused this two months before the first outbreak.) I also have a short list of food allergy suspects.

Recently, I had a very minor outbreak, followed by a bad cold with a lot of sinus pressure for a few days. I put a lot of Vaseline on my lips the last few days because the last doc recommended it as a safe product. Last night, I'm getting over the cold when my eyelids, especially the left one, get bright red and swollen at least double what they should be! And this morning the blisters on my lips are back, worse then my very minor outbreaks, but not as bad as the initial outbreak. wtf? I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but my resting heart rate is normal (60 bpm) but when i exercise or sometimes stand up quickly and walk to another room, it will shoot up really fast. And minor surprises like, I don't know, my radiator making a noise, makes my heart shoot way up, as if my nerves are shot.

This message has become way too long, I'm sorry. I just hope I can find someone who can relate or knows what I have. Except for drinking, I lead a very healthy life-- I eat healthy food and get tons of exercise. I'm 29. I'm kinda a toughie and I used to have a very positive attitude. Now I want to smack everyone who says "wow you sure get sick a lot" like I'm a excuse-making hypochondriac. Do I have herpes or an allergy? Anyone?

maybe its a thyroid problem

that can cause most of the symptoms you are describing

I too have had the same problem for almost two months. My sister told me to mix baby oil and a bit of salt, so that's what I did....it worked within a week! It's a miracle.