Hi, I have a problem regarding my appetite: in the last month or two it has doubled and I can't seem to have enough of food, the more I eat the hunger gets bigger but the strangest thing is that I hardly gained any weight, but quite the opposite I seem to have lost few pounds. I'm also very thirsty and I urinate quite frequently – maybe that’s the reason for the loss of weight? Any advice on the matter would be appreciated, thanks.

Well there are many reasons for the increase of the appetite, just to name a few: recent stress, depression, hormonal disbalance, changes in your digestive system etc. however, the symptoms you have described lead me to think of another serious condition – diabetes. Diabetes is a well known disease caused by the lack of hormone insulin which controls glucose levels in your blood – it is responsible for taking the glucose out of the blood into the cells, if there is a lack of insulin most of the glucose stays in the bloodstream and cells individual cells remain hungry. Extra glucose in your blood induces increased urination and loss of water. The fact that you eat a lot and that you urinate maybe because of the lack of glucose in your cells, the body tries to make up for that by increasing the food intake. I definitely think that you should consult your doctor about this problem and have him do a blood test to determine the levels of glucose in your blood. Good luck.

Sir,

My father who is above 60 years of age and always feel hungry. He eats alot but still feel hungry. His weight has gone upto 85 kilograms. Due to much weight with weak knee muscles, he is suffering from knee pain and could not walk much.

Recently I have read somewhere in a local news website, that one of the causes of hunger is abnormal production of a hormone in the stomach which makes the person feel hungry.

Could you kindly advise as what should be done to eat less. Is there any medicine which could remove hungerness in a person?

Best Regards,
Karar Haider
GulfeSolutions.com

I'm looking into this as well. I've had this problem for some time and I recenty saw a CSI episode involving an eating competition. One of the people mentioned a disease where an individual has a constant hunger due to a physical default that blocks the message to the brain that the stomache is full. I'm trying to find out the name but I've yet to find it.

Prader Willi Syndrome

In the last few months my hunger has tripled I eat and eat and eat and I dont get full I just cant get enough of food and strangly enough I havent been ganing weight if anything I've been loosing weight i'm fourteen and only weigh 95 pounds why won't it stop!!!

Yes I have had this same exact problem I eat and get full, but like 30 minutes later i'm just like STARVING!

I wonder...have any of you ever had an eating disorder in the past? Because I did but overcame it this summer... I thought that might have something to do with what I am experiencing...

if you're constantly hungry, eating all the time, and actually losing weight you might have a condition known as hyperthyroidism. You should research it and see if you have any of the other symptoms of this disorder. I hope that's helpful!

If you're 15 and constantly hungry but not gaining weight...

...

...you're GROWING! Hello, you're a teenager! Totally normal. Your body needs more energy to do the growing it needs so you're more hungry as a result. Don't worry, you're fine.

Exactly right. I have an overactive thyroid, am loosing weight but am hungry ALL the time.

A simple blood test will tell you whats what.

i am 22 and constantly hungry. it just recently started too. i have no idea what to do. i am going to my doctors to get checked out. but if anyone knows something to make me not so hungry please let me know!

I have been having the same problem for about the last week ive been feeling constantly hungry ive also felt really thursty all the time which I assume is because its hot but I also find I have to urinate a lot more and that during the day im feeling fine then all of a sudden Ill get really really tired.

I am having the same problem, and I've been doing some research (and I am also going to see my doctor in a few days).

One thing that was suggested to me was that I might have a Tape Worm! A tape worm is a parasite that lives in your intestine.
Some of the symptoms include:
Excessive or constant hunger
Abdominal Pain
Weakness
Nausea
Diarrhea

And other things. But, as I said, I'll be going to the doctor in a few days, so I'll let you know what she tells me.

i would have to say.... you may have a worm, or could you be pregnant? just kidding .. about the pregnant thing that is. get checked for worms.

have you started a new exercise routine? when people start new exersize routines there body suddenly change sits motabolism. this would cause you to be hungry more often.

how to solve this hunger:
1. eat lean low fat protein. eating more protein will help you know if your loosing fat, or if your loosing muscle. every body should get at least 6 ounces of lean protein every day.
2. caffeine is an appetite suppressant (but don't over do it).
3. drink more water. if people are dehydrated for long periods of time there body starts to ask for food instead of water.
4. stop eating fatty foods. fatty foods only fill people up for a hour or two. once the body has metabolism all that fat your blood sugar crashes.
5. eat more vegetables. try eating high fiber vegetables because fiber takes longer to digest. it also is a low fat bulk item that will help keep your blood sugar level.
6. switch your breakfast food! eating fiber and protein with a small piece of fruit (balanced meal) will help this situation all together. studies have proven that people who eat balanced tend not to loose weight (if they are healthy) and they also don't feel as hungry.
7. have you started any new medications? if you have started an anti depressant , or any new kind of medication talk to your doctor and see if excessive hunger and weight loss are symptoms.
8. eating more causes people to be hungry! if you eat a lot then your tummy stretches. then you digest faster leaving a bigger more empty stomach!
9. write in a food journal! write down everything that you eat and how much for 3 days. this will help you monitor what you are actually eating. knowing what you eat when your always hungry will help you find out if your doing something wrong. if its nothing your doing wrong then take the food journals to your doctor and tell him/her everything.
10. age factors. talk to your parents about this. maybe when one of your parents was this age they went through the same thing.

well that's all i have. my dad is diabetic so i know a lot about hunger and weight loss. try talking to your doctor if you loose more weight. #1 and # 9 are probably the MOST important things on the list. #1 will keep you from loosing muscle weight.