I am constantly spitting up mucus, always clearing my throat, because it feels like something is caught in mt throat. I have esophegeal varices, and I am worried that If I clear my throat to violently I will start bleeding.

So is your condition connected with the liver disease? Do you have alcohol problems?

Since you have been diagnosed with esophageal varices the only thing you need to watch out for is bleeding because with this diagnosis that is medical emergency and you need to see your doctor as soon as possible.

But this bleeding doesn’t necessarily need to appear and varices are most likely to bleed if they are big, severe cirrhosis and of course if you continue to use alcohol.

If you are following the instructions given to you by the doctor than you shouldn’t be afraid off the bleeding but you should go and check why you are spitting out grey mucus. Hopefully this is something you will resolve without bigger issues.