I continually have mucus in the back of my throat.I don't have a cold.I tried Muselix...no relief....What do I do?

Hi there,

Mucus in many cases is caused by some sort of an infection. You have to understand that mucus comes from mucus membrane that is lined in your nose, your sinuses and your throat. The fact is when this mucus membrane gets irritated by any cause it will produce more mucus that it is necessary. I think that you should be able to get rid of your excess mucus by gurgling warm salty water in your mouth. I know that in some cases this is very helpful. The good thing is that you don’t have cold but have you considered to take some antibiotics just in case you have some sort of infection in your throat?

I’ve been reading the many posts about chronic mucus in the throat. I’ve been there – done that for many years. I’ve seen 4 different doctors without any positive results and tried MANY - MANY Rx’s. I’ve been tested for allergies, asthma and GERD and I’m not a smoker. I not knocking the medical community but they seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to this condition. With the help of some on-line postings and some research, I’ve come upon some promising results.

Antibiotics seem to be a common denominator.  When a doctor prescribes an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria [good and bad] in your system – this is good when you are ill since it eliminates what was making you ill. However the elimination of the good bacteria has consequences. [Please note that I’m not a medical professional so my descriptions/explanations may not be stated well but this is what I’ve pieced together with some research] There is a relationship in the body between mucus and good bacteria. If the good bacteria are not adequate, the body produces mucus as protection.

With my condition, I separated it to a mucus problem and a post-nasal drip problem. First the mucus - Probiotics are designed to replace the good bacteria. They are not new and have been around for a long time and there is a lot of information available on them – doing your own research is recommended. In my case, I’ve been prescribed antibiotics many times over the years but never replaced the good bacteria. So I started with a low dose of Probiotic and worked up. [I currently take 3 capsules 2X daily] This has reduced the mucus in my throat a lot – maybe 80% or more. [I’m reluctant to say that I’m cured]

Next the post-nasal drip. This is still a work in progress. Over-the-counter decongestants aren’t a solution for me – Sudafed-like compounds mess with my blood pressure but I still use Flonase. So thanks to another on-line posting, I’m trying Quercetin which you can find in the health food/vitamin store.  So far, so good! It seems to be working and I keep trying different things.

I hope this information works. Good luck.

Hi can you tell me the name of the probiotics capsule you use, My dad seems to be having the same problem he is constantly clearing his throat due to mucus accumulation in the throat, and some times coughing too. We have tried many antibiotics and have seen many a doctors for the same but no change. also anything you can recommend for the nasal drip. My email is ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** you can emailme or post your reply here. Thanks