Over the past couple of months I've been having continuous belching that is often worse in the evening. The gas gets in my chest and under my ribs and hurts. Sometimes I have a gnawing feeling in my stomach like hunger pains, but eating does not relieve the problem. It often makes it worse. I've lost quite a bit of weight while I've had this problem.

The belching gets MUCH worse when I eat sugar. When I eat sugar, it is like a volcano erupting in my stomach. However, unlike a volcano, I do not feel a burning sensation like heartburn. When I belch, sometimes I get a bunch of "froth" in my mouth. Also, I have several days of constipation followed by a day of loose stools. Often my stools will contain undigested food. Sorry for all the gross details. I am just wondering what is happening.

I've been to a GI and so far he's done a blood test. No problems there. Because he is moving away, he referred me to another GI. I've called all around town and no one can see me until after the New Year. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I'm having the same 'vocanic belching' problems and I also think it might be related to sugar consumption.

I've had it a few times, but I REALLY noticed it this holiday season when I just happened to make, and eat, a lot of cookies.

When I returned to my normal eating after the holidays the 'volcanic belching' problem subsided right away.

Perhaps if you try cutting out sugary things and see if it goes away you'll have more information to tell your doctor.

i get this had it for years when i was a kid pain was tiny water would cure it then as the yrs past it got much worse now the pain is so great i wont to sometimes kill myself

Gall bladder..get an ultrasound...you  might be in the first stages of gallbladder if you are having the belching and no pain. Soon the pain along with the belching is usually when it is diagnosed as gallbladder.

Hey, I have identical symptoms.. wondering if you ever found out what was up with you?

Are you programmers or it people ? My husband gets this and his pc makes it worse. It makes him so miserable. We are in the middle of getting forensic bloods and urinalysis done to find out what is going on. 

I do spend a lot of time on computer.. I find stress can act on it instantly.. bad news seems to kick the symptoms in.. I've had general blood work done and it all came back normal.. Have had Endoscopy.. showed slight hernia.. but my issue is coming from deeper than my stomach I feel. Colonoscopy showed a healthy colon.. So something is going on in the small intestine.. Let me know if anything shows in bloodwork. I've also had ultrasound, upper GI X-ray and a CAT Scan.. All looks normal.. But I feel like there is an Alien crawling around in there spitting out poison. UGGGGH.

I have the same problem as all of you.  Whenever I think I've figured out the problem something else rules it out entirely!  28 year old male.  Don't drink or smoke.  Exercise 90 minutes daily.  Problem started when eating a diet of almost entirely raisin nut bran cereal and came on instantly and with great intensity.  No stomach problems to speak of ever prior to this.  No changes in diet will make go away.  Worse after eating large meals.  Sugar is #1 cause.  Will be up until 6am belching so loudly that neighbors can hear it.  Abdominal exercises will guarantee symptoms but cardio bring no problems whatsoever.

Upper Endo showed only scarring from the reflux which had never manifested prior to these symptoms.  My GI doc is 25 years old, studied in India, and has displayed utter incompetence.  Gets worse with anxiety and seems to exhibit traits of aerophagia when anxiety kicks in.  Ended up in ER initially thinking it was a heart attack.

I am leaning towards IBS or Chron's.  Wondered about Gluten, but the whole sugar thing seems to be the real kicker.  Milk will make it horrible as well and all milk substitutes are worse due to higher sugar content.  Muslce Milk product is the WORST which must be due to fake sugar.  Tried digestive enzymes to little effect.

Sounds like we all suffer from the same problem so whoever figures it out first please share!

IBS is basically description of somethings going on but we really don't know. I find I have almost no belching when I take in no sugar.. But there seems to be something physical wrong in the area on left under rib cage and down the front 6 to 8 inch.. I'm also dealing with thrush in my mouth, I think.. I'm looking at the candidia as potential cause.. I ate a ton of cheese the other night and had very minimal belching. SIBO is something else to look at if you run out of things to have... I had a prescription for Klonopin
that helped everything out.. but only for a day or so after a .5 mg pill.

This is the only relief the doctors have been able to provide me after everyday issues for over 3 years now. I'm not sure how long they will let me take it because its addictive apparently. I'm saving for a Pill Cam ... looks like thats gonna be about 1200.. As much as I feel funky feelings in that area of my abdomen, I'm in disbelief that nothing physically wrong has shown up on any of my tests..

Mornings for me are the worst.. at one point I had a reminder of the issue everyday around 10:30 am... Like clockwork for months I would get tweaking in my gut and sick feeling all up the left side of my body.. it goes all the way into back left of my brain.. feels like a ph change type thing.. but who knows.. so odd that most all my feelings are on the left side of my body.. lets figure this out !!!

Duane,
Have you had the tests done for H Pylori? I am almost certain that is what I am experiencing. I'm ordered the test kit on the internet as its cheaper than dealing with my GI doctor for it. Will let you know results tomorrow. Cheese seems to be one of the few things that doesn't make me belch as well, oddly enough.

Scratch my previous comment. It seems as though you have been checked for H Pyl. in your endoscopy most likely. I just saw that they biopsied me for it during endoscopy on the sites of the gastric body erosions they found. How long has your thrush been going on for? Will look into this SIBO. Makes sense to look at. I have been taking unprescribed klonopin for roughly a month. We differ on our time of symptoms. Mine are almost always worse at night before bed. I always workout at night, however so this may have something to do with the timing. My abdominal pain was nonexistent in the lower section of my gut until several days ago. Now it is omnipresent. It has been strictly issues with belching until that point. I hate to do it but I may have to cease workouts for a period. This is something which makes me miserable just to think about as at 209 pounds I am now lighter than I have been since I was 15. From here on out I know one word....ATTACK! I will find out what is wrong with me in a month. I am beginning GI visits every week, if not with this GI than with another if he will not do it. CT scan and blood work next week. I will have every test done until I figure it out. I am self pay but at this point I really could care less about cost. This sucks and we will figure out what is wrong with us!!!!

They did a H pylori test 3 years ago.. it came back negative but a psychiatrist told me those tests are famous for not being right.. I had a CT scan.. showed nothing :( set me back 1400 bucks..

What type of test did they give you for H Plyori? I'm not questioning my results given that it was biopsy and what I've read is that they are fairly consistent. I thank you for the tip on the LIBO. I feel strongly it is a bacteria so this makes sense. So much so that I got some antibiocs which have proven successful in treating LIBO from a buddy of mine who is a vet(used for both animals and humans). Began tonight(I don't have patience to wait around on doctors, for better or worse!).

Were you found to suffer from this at some point? I hate to bring this up, but I am concerned to hear that you may have thrush given the link between thrush and Crohn's. Have you been tested for that? Crohn's is a possibility which I have entertained given the symptoms which I am exhibiting. If these antibiotics don't work then I am going straight to testing for Crohn's.

Hopefully neither of us turn up to have this disease but as bad as it is there are people suffering from much worse.

Chron's describes a lot of my symptoms perfectly.. I have told every doctor every symptom.. I feel like I have explained this to 15 or more health care professionals.. None have mentioned Chron's.. I have never had blood in stools..no weight loss and never had a fever from it.. It seems to me that things in this category of illnesses things aren't totally cut and dry. I do feel like there is one segment that is bad or affected somehow. My belching was a symptom that started 6 or more months ago... My issue has been going on for 3 years now.. I think I got something called Lymphocytic Choriomenengitis from sweeping up mouse droppings in an old house. Thats a complicated little thing to get.. and I think it damaged something in my gut. I haven't been tested for having had it, doctors laugh at me and tell me to get off the internet. That would have only lasted for a few months.. I was feeling deathly ill for about 5 months.. could hardly work and many times couldn't get off the couch. Things are much improved now but there hasn't been 1 minute of 1 day in the last 3 years that I wasn't aware there was something in my gut very very wrong. I think until I took a Klonapin, the best help I had was from an Acupuncturist. I found up to a week of relief from most symptoms, the reason I stopped was that the treatments were miserable.. not because of the needles.. but because they made me belch from deep down.. and that laying down took a lot of tweaking of my body and muscles.. not too comfy with a bunch of needles.. One other thing.. certain vibrations affect the area terribly.. I can mow grass on a mower or blow leaves with backpack blower and that kinda helps ... but if my cell phone is on vibrate, and anywhere near my belly or laying on it.. I can feel a very funky feeling at the spot where things are going on ... about 4 inches to left of my belly button.. up and down an inch or so. Subwoofers thumping also drive it nuts.. Was in a tub once and filling with water.. the vibration of the water splashing as it filled drove me right out of the tub.. Another crazy thing is... when I wipe after number 2, i find that just touching with a little pressure in that area can cause an immediate belch... I have been diagnosed with a mild hiatial hernia but don't see how that is casueing me all that I'm going thru. I

Lymphocytic Choriomenengitis doesn't seem to fit your symptoms to my way of thinking.  Bear in mind I had never heard of it prior but just reading up on it briefly it seems to be out of your range of symptoms.  In everything it is always best to start with the simplest solution as it is often the right one and usually easy to test for.

I am now concerned that I do, indeed have Crohn's.  However, as I suspect may be the case with you I am inclined towards quasi-hypochondria.  If symptoms are bothering you to such an extent that you feel you have to educate yourself on the subject then to hell with the doctors.  Never let a doctor tell you there is nothing wrong with you.  Even if it is psychological the doctor telling you you're fine isn't going to make you disbelieve what your body is telling you.  I have innumerable instances within my family where doctors have told members that they were fine for years, when after all is said and done they were, very much not ok!  They accepted that doctors opinion, several times those opinions lead only to the grave.  Hence, accepting their opinions as the word of god is something which I will never be doing.

I seem to have digressed here, Duane.  I have a spot on the inside of my mouth that have been hurting to brush for weeks.  I was too scared to confront this issue, but last night I stuck a flashlight in there and it is the most perfect match to Mucosal lichen planus that I have ever seen.  It could possibly be lichenoid legions as well, however.  When I initially had the symptoms it was when I had my worst belching symptoms ever.  I was consuming Gaviscon straight out the bottle, almost chugging it.  I am hoping there was something in there which brought about those spots as I initially suspected an allergic reaction which is unheard of for Gaviscon, however.

I will be running the gambit of tests for Chron's this coming week.  My new policy is I demand on hearing bad news immediately.  If it is Chron's I will simply be happy to have a diagnosis.  You have to know your enemy to understand his weaknesses.  It sounded as if you had a number of tests done.  I can't recall if you had much bloodwork done.  If we do have Chron's we need to know quickly so we can start kicking it's a$$!  If not, we need to know to look for someone else's a$$ to kick!