My husband has been belching gas off and on for about a year now. It is more like flatulence out of his mouth. (Sorry to be graphic!) For the last 6 months, everything has been "calm" but this weekend it started up again but worse than ever. In the past, it would start up and last for about 2 weeks, then go away for about a month. We thought it was over until this weekend.

He is taking something for heartburn....Zantac (rx'ed) I believe.

Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem can be?

Belching is expelling gas from the stomach through mouth instead of anus. We often swallow air and we are not even aware of it. When we swallow air, our stomach becomes distended and we need to get rid of that extra air by belching or flatulence.
We swallow air when we eat quickly, when we drink a lot of carbonated drinks and due to anxiety. Some people do not belch because of air but because some other abdominal discomfort, which is then relieved by belching.
You didn’t say if your husband has any other troubles besides belching. I suppose that there is an unpleasant odor when you call it “belching gas”. It could happen that there’s something wrong with his abdomen but the thing is that he needs to be evaluated and examined by a doctor. Not much can be said without examination or other present symptoms.

I have had really bad rectal gas for several years with rumblings and gurglings which are very loud and embarrassing. Lately as soon as I eat something I notice an odor that has escaped from my rectum that actually smells like the food that I had just eaten. It is not offensive like normal gas smells. In fact it smells like food and if I didn't know it was me I would think someone was cooking something or had brought in some fast food or something. Today I ate some nuts and almost immediately I noticed the same smell as the nuts coming from my rectum. It has been several hours and I can still notice it. My sphincter just isn't able to hold gas in like it used to be able to do and so it just comes out. I have no other symptoms, no pain, nausea, diarrhea. I did have a resection of my colon on my right side about 30 years ago but never had this particular odor of gas before. I worry about it constantly when I have to be in social situations.
Has anyone out there ever experienced a similar problems or heard of anyone who has? I see a gasteroenterologist regularly but Drs. just don't seem to want to listen when you start talking about gas, at least that has been my experience. I appreciate your help