I have a gastrointestinal problem swelling of my abdomen which is very painful and I can’t stop burping which is very embarrassing.....I am constantly bloated with severe headaches and sometimes with nausea.

I’m 35 years old Male from Manchester, have a very healthy lifestyle, going to the gym, running, swimming. I’m self employed in Retail and in good health and I don’t have any worry or stress of life except this medical issue which now is driving me crazy.

The pain in my abdomen is constant and the amount of belching and intensity of pain varies when I’m severe bloated etc. The belching is long and loud and until I don’t have this long burp that can last for over 5 seconds I feel very sick and out of breath sometimes. I can feel the air coming up, I need to sit up if I am lying in bed to push the gas out or lie on my stomach or sit forward compressing the stomach.

Once the gas is released the pain goes away from my abdomen for 5-15 min and then the pain starts again and this can go on for hours. My first year of gastrointestinal problem I did suffer a lot from heartburn and acid reflux food was coming up very frequently but this is not the case anymore for the last two years. My stomach used to swell up more after a bowel movement but this has changed now and I am frequently passing stool every day.

I went to see a gastroenterologist several times and he doesn’t have a clue anymore. I have had an Endoscopy with biopsy and everything was ruled out fine (I used to have duodenum ulcer which I don’t have any more) My blood is normal and ruled out all the major diseases like celiac disease etc. my abdomen scan was clear and I have seen a dietician who put me on an Elimination diet (cave mans diet) for 4 weeks which was very strict to eliminate if any food intolerance but the symptoms were the same. I did try this diet once again to make sure I didn’t slip out but no results were found. Also I tried a food intolerance test of over 100 main foods with a specialist which I paid £40 which was a waste.

I had a lactose test and the outlined that I had intolerance which I knew because I have  always had problems with dairy products since I was a child, I could not drink more than a glass of milk or eat a full egg or my stomach would go mad. In my elimination diet I took out all dairy products from my diet for 4 weeks.

I had to stop all medication whilst I was on my diet and the only medication I have been taking for the past 7 years was a beta blocker propanolol which I was using for anxiety and to my amaze whilst on this diet I was not feeling anxious at all or had any panic attacks so I stopped taking this medicine after I came off the exclusion diet, I’m still experimenting what creates my anxiety and I have ruled out is if I have too much sugar or if I eat to a full stomach it makes me vey anxious, even though I could not find a conclusion for my stomach bug I managed to control my anxiety in trial and error.

Back to the stomach.....I have tried yoga, probiotics, herbal medicines, charcoal tablets and a lot of different medication including antispasmodic These are medicines that relax the muscles in the wall of the gut I’ve tried colofac, buscopan, dicycloverine and peppermint oil and some others which I don’t recall now, also tried a lot of diffferent Tricyclic antidepressants medicine nortriptyline, etc which made me feel worse. I have also tried fasting the whole day without food or drink to see if my symptoms change but the belching and pain is always there. I eat slowly, I don’t drink alcohol or smoke or take caffeine and I have cut down or hardly drink carbonated drinks.

I have noticed in the past 6 months that I can control my belching a lot more so I don’t burp every few minute or so but every hour, Ive never heard of this problem myself or what I call it.....I need to eat a very small portion of food and only eat if I’m hungry, this goes with fluid as well. I can’t drink too much or have a more than a glass of water whilst eating but wait until my stomach feels empty again. I can’t eat too much first thing in morning unless im hungry or the belching will start after breakfast and continue for the whole day and sometimes the next day until I control my intake of food and liquid again.

Even when I control my intake of food and control the belching my abdomen will still be slightly bloated and the pain will always be there, you can feel the pain when you press slightly down all over the abdomen area and the headache is always constant. The only time the belching stops is whilst im sleeping and when I wake up after several hours of sleep. Can anyone help or has had similar problems?

Thank you.

Zak.

zak0014 wrote:

Thank you.

Zak.

Have you had a colonoscopy?? I know it sounds BAD but I promise there is nothing to it!! You won't remember a thing.... get checked for dyfroticulitus

thanks for the reply....Ive only had Gastroscopy (endoscopy) done on my upper gut which they put a camera down my oesophagus, I believe colonoscopy is a camera from the anus? I have never had that done and was never referred.

Im actually shocked about that...I cant understand why they wouldn't refer you to have one done. And yes, they sedate you, pump your intestines with air, and go through the anus with a camera. But you won't remember anything about it. You should check in to it....tell them you want further testing done.

That is very frustrating and difficult, both the symptoms and the lack of diagnosis so far. That really brings you down. 

Since you do not have a formal diagnosis yet, you have two basic options. One is to look into the realm of alternative medicine, and the other is to aggressively pursue a diagnosis, either with your current healthcare provider or by seeking a second opinion. Testing you would benefit from are blood tests, GI x-ray, colonoscopy, and a stool test. I think I would want to ask my doctor point blank if it is possible that I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome in your situation. 

There is no way to find a bloated stomach cure without a correct diagnosis!

The only thing that I can suggest is to drink Aloe Vera juice and drink it religiously. I am in the State and a gallon of organic Aloe Vera juice is about $8.00 at a health food stores such as Whole Foods.

But then again, you may have to do more than just drink the juice.  You mentioned that you workout at the gym. Does the gym have a sauna or better yet, a steam room? If so do the following:

Buy Vitamin C in powder form and pills, B1 vitamin (NOT timed nor Extended release), and activated charcoal capsules (dietary) and do the following on the days you don't have to work:

1. Get 8 bottles of water (16.9 oz here in the U.S.)

2. Add 1 - 2 grams of vitamin C to three bottles of water; leaving you with 5 bottles of just water

3. Take 1g of vit C (pill) extended release or timed

4. Take 1/2 g of B1 (there are two types, one of them may make feel as if your skin gets hot..for a couple of seconds.)

4. Take 1 - 3g of activated charcoal

Do the above first thing in the morning before heading out to the gym.

5.Drink another bottle of water with vit C before going in to the steam room

6. Try to stay in the steam room for 20 mins and half way drink a bottle of plain water with 2g of charcoal capsules

7. after the 20 mins get out and rest...kool down for 5 min and drink another bottle of plain water

8. Get in the steam room for 25 mins this 2nd time. Half way drink a bottle of water with vitamin C, charcoal capsules and another 1/2 g of B1

9. After the 25 mins get out and rest again and drink another bottle of plain water

10. Get in the steam room again for 30 mins this 3rd time and have way drink another bottle of water and charcoal capsules

11. After the 30 mins rest again and have another bottle of water and you are done!

NOTE: Vitamin C is water soluble so it will not be toxic, although you may feel a little sick in the morning. Now, be very careful with the B1 as it can be toxic reason why you will only take two pills (make sure they are regular and not timed) which you'll be sweating out.

You must do this while fasting from the day before starting at 6PM. Remember, you are taking vit C and this may make you go to the restroom which is OK.  Vitamin c will kill any bacteria/viruses that may be in your system, while B1 will strengthen you nervous system while in the steam room.

In addition, if you are able, try to eat vegetables and fruits (lots of fiber if possible) with lots of water starting the day you start fasting. This will clean you digestive system without damaging the flora in the gut.

In regards to the Aloe Vera, drink it even if you are fasting or not. Try to drink a glass first thing in the morning...it should be the first thing you do when you wake up, and drinnk a couple more during the day.

Try drinking the aloe vera for a month, and do the steam bath on the weekends for a month and see how it goes.  You should feel much better the first couple of times you do it. If it does not work go see a doctor...I personally try to stay away from doctors due to the simple fact that I do not want to be taking prescription meds.

I suffer the exact same thing as you, but worse..I have the added from of having difficulty burping and always have air in my stomach that I can't get out. Find out who is the best gastroenterologist in your country & go to them! It could be bacteria in your colon, intestines & stomach & you will need to go on antibiotics.

Zak,
I work with others in the field of supplements. I often get them aloe which is in the purest form and has several flavors.
I also have a digestive enzyme which gives your body the natural bacteria it requires. I use both of these myself and they work great! These products are all science based and natural. If you would like, you can find them at www.shop.com/jarodwright or I can send you some links if you are interested.
We may also have some health classes in your area, depending on where you live.
Good luck. And let me know if you want more information.
Jarod

my stomach feels swoollen and sounds hollow when you tap on it,also upon eating meals feel that portions areto big,even if they arent.when presented with food always feel sick,this has been the case for about 3 months.just worried what it could be,worried it could be cancerous.

could be low stomach acid, beltching is from undigested food fermenting and they the baceria give off gas, you could try FODMAP diet to rule out poorly absorbed carbs. Try taking betaine HCL with pepsiin to help with digestion

It could be a gall bladder problem like Gall stones. My sister had a similar problem for years and speculated that it could be the Gall bladder, turned out that she 20+ stones in there. Ask your doctor.

It would be a good idea to have a catscan.  I had a rare disease with similar symptoms.  It often goes undiagnosed for a long time.  It is treatable.  The earlier it is caught, the easier the treatment.

Dear Zak,

I recognize a lot: belching, with food and with drinking (but didn't have the bloating as such). Had gastroscopy, colonoscopy etc. everything. After many years i had the right diagnosis from a gastroenterologist esp. interested in gas. His diagnosis: functional dyspepsia + IBS. Although I don't have problems with bowel movements (diarhea or constipation), my abdomen has a very high sensitivity to it: even the slightest touch or movement will lead to burping. He said: 'an abnormal reaction to a normal amount of gas' Therefore IBS is apropriate diagnosis in his view.
What helps me? The antidepressant Remeron really help to quite an extent for the nausea and burping. Strangely for me also the antihypersensitive Hydrochlorthiazide helps. That's about it.
In an article on the internet I read about Pyridostigmine, which I only came across recently, which seems to help in the bloating and gas propulsion. Also I heard from a complementary MD that he has heard that some people with IBS benefit from this. But I think its is not generally prescribed medicine for IBS, whereas Remeron is.

what was the disease?

Hi Zak,

I have a very similar story, intractable burping, definitely not swallowed air. Makes you feel really lousy and washed out. Also have near constant abdo ache/pressure, seems to originate from lower right side but radiates up. Working diagnosis IBS, but to me not typically IBS. Advised to cut down fruit/veg and fibre.

Pls keep us updated as to how you get on...