I started having sharp chest pains upon taking deep breaths back in November and my doctor told me that it was Costochondritis. Since then, my chest has been really tender, and it hurts to lay on my stomach or even on my side. Last night around 7 I started having those sharp pains again, and they're still here, over 24 hours later. (the first time they only lasted about 10 minutes) I thought that costochondritis was only supposed to last a couple of weeks. What's going on?

i'm 18 years old an was diagnosted with it over 3 months ago an i still have bad problems with it..... but everyone on here is saying few weeks so i dono if i'm any help but i'm with ya on it....... i take 3 600mg. ibprofen everyday an it hasnt done much of anything except its better to the touch..... i used to not be able to touch my ribs even lightly in lots of spots an it always felt like big lumps or extra bone but the doctors said its possible i injured them an they didnt heal correctly so i havve large amounts of cartlidge build up which has most likely triggered it... but it gets bad an my back feels like its gettin worse sometimes its diffcult to sleep...... i can get em in the middle of the night an feels like your havin a heart attack........

geez i have had this problem since i was 11 and now i am 26.  ibprofen does not seem to work i take 4 250mg at a time and still the pain kills me.  i can not sleep if i lay down the pain seems worse.  it seems sleeping upright and waiting it out all i can do.  my pain usually last from 3 days to a week sometimes longer.  i have not yet been diagnosed seeing i do not have any insurance, i only pray one day it goes away!!