I have pretty severe sternum costochondritis which prevents me from ever being able to take a deep breath.   The pain can be pretty severe at times but what is really limiting my ability to function is very frequent rapid heart rate.   I will wake up out of a sound sleep sometimes to find that my heart is beating over 160 bpm.   If I try to use the crosstrainer (elliptical) at the gym without the arm movements, even going at just 2 mph at the lowest setting, within one minute my heart rate is in the mid 170s to 180s.   I feel very uncomfortable when this is happening and usually have a strong urge to sit or lie down until it calms down.   Am I doing damage to my heart if I continue trying to exercise?   Is this due to the costochondritis?   I had an EKG and a heart catheter done over a year ago when this first started and everything was fine although the hospital did notice that my heart would suddenly speed up for no apparent reason at times.    

Did you ever get a response to this? Ive had costo for 3 years off and on and the same thing happens to me.. happened to me last night and freaked me out.

I had 5 heart bypasses twice 20 years ago and to many stents to count. I have 20-35% diffraction (viable heart muscle left working) I have had CC probably since the first open heart surgery on and off but what had happened to me over the last couple years is scary. my heart would just start racing up to 250 bpm and I would go into vfib. If I didn't have an implanted ICD I would be dead 4 or 5 times over. Even though I have accurately described the symptoms of CC over the years I have never had a doctor once consider CC as the problem. There are two descriptions of what the pain feels like that i have used since the beginning, It feels like being stabbed with a hot knitting needle, or severely pulling a muscle.