Ok here goes. I started running last october. I went into my local running center and they said my feet were relatively flat. They recommended Saucony Trigon 3 which makes no sense at all to me. They are a neutral shoe which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I had problems with these shoes giving my blisters on my feet so i went back and they switched me to mizuno wave inspired 2. OK this shoe seems about right for someone that is flat footed by why the switch? Why did they not give me a support shoe up front? I am needing a new pair of shoes but since these two were so different i have no idea what type of shoe i need. Oh yes i forgot to say. I started with the saucany laters and they stoped giving me bilsters. Maybe my running form improved as i progressed. I don't know. I think the saucany had a "little bit more shock absoption but maybe this was in my head because i thought the mizuno were lighter but when i looked they were actually not any lighter. What kind of shoe would you guys recocmend i get? Id like something with a lot of shock absoption.

Ok second question. When you go into a sporting goods store you see running shoes but how do you know what are the good running shoes and what aren't? I mean with names like nike and addidas i think they pretty much make really good running shoes and others that aren't so good that are just made for teenagers to go to school with. How do you pick out whats good and whats not. I would like to have the ability to buy shoes without the running centers help.

Edit: I probably should mention when you look at my saucany (the ones if wore the most). Most of the wear (on the sole) is on the outside of the shoe with very little wear on the inside of the shoe.
thanks,
ncage

Going to a good running store is a must at least once. With the experience you had I'd choose another and try again cuz I'm still not sure you're in the right shoe. I too have very flat feet but like you I wear the outer edge of my shoes which is odd as people with flat feet usually over pronate and wear the inside edge out. For me this is caused by my huge bunions that don't allow my feet to roll in. Not sure about you. My feet are also very wide. I wear the Mizuno Wave Alchemy5 which is for support/light motion control.

Get evaluated at another good running store and stay away from the sporting good stores untill you find what shoe/shoes work for you.

Wow... it's hard to say what kind of shoes to get. Fortunately we have a really good All Sports store around here with lots of helpful people that know alot about different kinds of shoes. So that's how I got set up.

You could try finding a store that specializes in running shoes or talk to a sports doctor or something. I could suggest the shoe I wear but what's good for me probably won't be that great for you since it sounds like we have pretty different feet.

Hope you find something that works for you,

-John

P.S. Don't tell me your first name is Nicolas :D

How do you know you are flat footed? I thought I was until I did the wet paper test and found out I actually have a relatively high arch. I also under pronate and have had good success with Mizuno Wave Rider 8's and Asics Cumulus shoes. I like the Mizunos better because I can get them in a EE width.

Yeah, it sounds like you were not fitted very well the first time. Maybe the person you worked with was a rookie, or maybe they just don t have a clue. Sometimes running shoe stores hire really fast runners, but that doesn t mean they know everything about shoes. All they need to do is watch you walk with out shoes and with your pant legs rolled up and see if your ankles roll in or not. Sometimes people that have flat feet are neutral, but I would like for something with a lower arch and or a straighter last if that is the case. If you go back explain your past experiences and see if there is someone of experience that can fit you.