I was curious how many miles on average you should go before your next shoe purchase. I'm at about 325 on the pair I have now...

I'd buy new ones and start breaking them in slowly because your other pair is probably on it's way out.

I usually go around 300-325 on mine, usually what I will do is finish up the week, then start with the new shoes on Monday. Then my old shoes become the grass cutting, shoes. I did save the shoes that I ran my marathon in.

One trick the Joe taught me was to wear the new shoes around the house for a little while just to break them in a little.

I've got 450 miles on my Asics. I need a new pair. I bought a pair of Nike's like a dilweed a few months ago and I hate them. That's why I keep running in the Asics.

My wife wanted me to wait until next year to get a new pair for running...yeah, right! She doesn't quite understand.

my wife knows I drove into Pittsburgh to get this new pair of shoes, but neither one of us is willing to bring up the topic and talk about the cost.

Then again, I am balancing the checkbook this morning and there are a lot of entries that I didn't know about. hmmmmm, ammunition just in case the "shoes" become an issue.

Normally running shoes last about 500 miles, all of which is dependent on how one runs, how much one weighs, etc. (So I'm thinking Greg that you might be able to get some more mileage out of your shoes.)
Some people recommend buying two pairs of shoes and rotating them. If that's not in the budget, then Purple has the good idea of gradually breaking them in.

I did find an old pair in a box the other day. They still fit, and were only used to wear around the house (no running mileage on them). Should I give them a try if they feel comfy?

How old and what type of sneak?

To answer the question:

Asics GT2060/2070 - 500 miles
Mizuno Wave Mercury (2001) 600 miles
Brooks Vapors (2001) 300 miles
Avia 248 200 miles

This year one of my New Year's Resolutions was to never spend more than $50 on a pair of running shoes. So I have been lately trying different shoes. I have used mostly Asics this year (2 pair so far) and Mizuno's last year (3 pair). These work well for me and are quality shoes, though the toe box in the Mercuries is a bit small. I attempted to run in the Avia's but just destroyed them in about a month.

I just ordered some Brooks Chariots from RRS. I am still casting about for a good inexpensive shoe. If they don't work out, I suppose I will go back to the Mizunos (Mercury, Alchemy, or Legend).

How old and what type of sneak?
1-2 Years at most. Some type of adidas. I'd have to check for sure.

To answer the question:

Do you order from RRS very often? Anyone else? Are you happy with them? I've thought about it several times, just don't feel like paying the shipping costs and if I really want a new shoe, I would like to try them on first.

I have ordered from RRS before, but this is my first shoe order. I don't believe you can buy this shoe elsewhere. My wife wanted to order some stuff so I decided to try the Chariots out.

I pay shipping, but not sales tax. If the order is large enough, it evens out. I have been happy with RRS, but most of what they sell can be had for less money somewhere else. Besides that, If you want to pay list prices, why not support your local running store ?

regards
Dan

I have ordered from RRS and I have been pretty happy, what I usually do is wait until they have some kind of discount or free shipping deal. Lately I have been buying shoes at race expos (hint bring cash) and buying 1 or 2 pair. I also order from National Running Center they are comparable to RRS in price and shipping.

I did the opposite... I was a dilweed and bought some Asics, most I've ever spent on shoes, and I totally hated them. I believe they caused me some problems with strained calf muscles. Now back to the Nikes, my times are getting back down to the pre-Asics days and my legs are very happy.