I'm due for new shoes and went to my trustworthy running store this weekend. They switched me from my Saucony grid omni (which seemed to be working well except for some blisters I was getting on the arch of my foot) to the new version of Brooks Trance which has a lower arch and firmer cushioning. I think I'll like the Brooks Trance (haven't tried them out on a 'real run' yet) and I've always gotten great advice from this store, particularly this guy who set me up with the Brooks, but I'm a little nervous to part with my Saucony for some reason...I guess I don't want to be set back by a bad shoe.

Anyone else ever had new shoe anxiety? I think I just need a hobby...
And anyone ever run in Brooks Trance?

I think shoe anxiety happens to all of us...just go on out there and run your little heart out. Don't forget to log the miles for Rockin team #5!!!

I've gotten nothing but good miles from Brooks. Gone through at least a half dozen pairs...mostly the Hyperion line. I did wear the Trance model for awhile and got my marathon Pr with them, so they get a thumbsup in my book. They were a little too firm for an underpronator like me, so I didn't stick with that model, but moved to their more cushioned.

:thumbsup: Good to hear!! I hope I like them as well. I think I will, I just really liked the saucony, so I was surprised when he suggested a change. But it will be nice not to worry about that arch blister anymore!!
Dancer--Its all about the team 5 mileage, baby!! 8)

I've been going thru that for week now. Still haven't bought a pair. The shoes I'm wearing now have been discontinued and replaced with a new one. I can get the new model but they are $100 a pair and I'm afraid they will be different somehow. I've scouted around at different brands and models that are less expensive and I'm too scared to try something new.
I'm a dork too.

I'm a dork too.
I've never agreed with you more on that one, achey. Last time I switched shoes I got hurt for two weeks. I'm gonna wear this pair until even my duct tape can't put them back together...

Hey! Didn't you and I have deep, meaningful shoe discussions a while ago? Like when you were planning on getting your now old Saucony's?

I'm a little curious as to why the shoe person wanted you to switch. You know, if it ain't broke... But maybe it was, what with the blisters.

Try them out and if they don't work, take them back. NO ONE should be forced to wear $85+ shoes, especially if they aren't what you, the customer, wants.

yes, yes yes, we did... I went to get another pair of the sauconys but had them take a look at how they were wearing first (and they were wearing exactly as they should, a good sign) but the guy didn't like the blisters on my arch and after looking at my foot (arch collapses) again he decided he thought the arch was a little high and thus our problem. I'm not afraid to take them back and go back to the not-so-broke (and doesn't make me as broke--ha!) saucony's. I can handle blisters over knee problems or whatever else might come of a bad for me shoe. I'll let you know. I'm not against them, I'm just scared of change. 8O
As akern said, I'm a dork.

For those on pins and needles here , the Brooks Trance did not work out for me. I got foot cramps right off the bat. :x I'll take blisters over a constant cramp anyday. not to mention like a $50 savings on shoes... 8O Back to the store they go and back into another pair of Saucony go I.

Cheryl, I too have had a problem with arch blisters while running in the Omni and unlike what your shoe-guy has said it's not because the arch in the Omni is too high. I have a rather high arch and a neutral stride. I tend to wear cushioned shoes but on occasion, especially when my legs are a little tired or when doing long runs during marathon training I prefer a shoe that provides a slight amount of stability.
I also tried the Trance (a couple of models ago and found it way too controlling and not worth the lofty price tag, when it really doesn't offer you anything you can't get out of the Adrenaline).
The problem with the Omni (moderate stability) in my book is that the medial post is just too far pronounced for me. As a result, when transitioning from heel to toe and then rolling through to toe off the post creates an abrupt stop in my natural stride (too prevent my foot from rolling to far inward) but for my stride this keeps me squarely on the outside of my foot and the abruptness of trying to push off causes some serious blistering on the arch of my right foot. I'm guessing that you may need to actually move in the opposite direction (less stability). I've had great luck with the Mizuno Mercury which provides just about the right amount of stability for my stride. You can also look at the New Balance 760 series which also provides a slight amount of stability (although you probably won't get many miles out of them). Also, if you like the Saucony fit maybe you can try the Hurricane...it should feel about the same but will be just slightly less stable. Saving that, if you do decide to stay with the Omni you may want to experiment with rubbing your arches with vaseline, changing socks and maybe look at going with a different insole.
---
megawill

The saga continues. Well, I've now consolidated two opinions and I'm alternating 2 pairs of shoes until I get a better idea (or come into more money and can buy one of each kind of shoe in the store) About five different people at shoe store 1 conferred and decided I am rubbing blisters because of the higher arch in the grid omni and that I need little to no arch in my shoe, thus Saucony grid hurricane. Shoe store 2 says the Grid Omni is fine for me that my old pair is just worn and thus causing blisters. :shrug: At this point they could bring out a pair of flip flops and say "this is a little less stability than your last pair but these are great if you shower in public places..." and I'd consider it. So I'm rotating the two pairs until I can come to a better conclusion. Little did I know I have mutant impossible to fit feet.

Cheryl----why do you need a stability shoe?????? I guess...I'm asking what major injury have you had?

:shrug: because thats what they told me? I have no clue (if you hadn't already gathered that by the above posts ;) ) Major injuries? None that are major...a bout with condromalacia patellar (sp?) a couple years ago and a little teeny bit of ITBS a year ago oh and some blisters...haha ;) but I've never had a major injury...is that what stability shoes are geared for? Replacing stability where it may have been compromised?

Yes! Anxious shoe buyer here. My favorite brand is closing out, Saucony Grid Shadows. I've tried Addidas Supernova Cushion, and the went back to the Grid Shadows. It's either too big in the ankle or not big enough in the toe box....eek! anxiety. I need stability shoes too. My ankle twists when I run if I don't have that type.

Saucony's getting rid of the Shadow? No way! That's their best selling shoe. Oh man, if they really are closing it out, then go stock up.