I ran on Monday in an older pair of shoes...which felt awful. But it was interesting seeing the mileage differences.

The shoes that felt totally flat on Monday were Asics Diablos with 248 miles.
My Mizunos bought in Feb, already have 276 miles on them, and they feel fine.
My other running shoes are Asics GT 2090s which have about 80 miles on them.
I'm planning on buying a new pair of Asics 2090's so I have a fresh pair of shoes pre-marathon.

I read on boards that shoes should/can last 400/500 miles. True? My Mizunos still feel great. My old Asics are now relegated to civilian life.
I probaly weigh more than other female runners at my height, so that might have something to do with it.
How long do running shoes last for you?

I milk mine to around 600-700, but I'm a cheapass and they start to hurt around 550. I'm a very lightweight person, and my ASICS Kayanos are durable as heck.

For me they last about 400-500 miles before they break down. I'm currently rotating between a pair of Asics 1090s (~320 miles) and a pair of Mizuno Mavericks (164 miles). However nowadays my shoes don't seem to last long since I'm putting lots of heavy mileage on them at the moment. I heard that the Mizunos do last somewhat longer but I think the length shoe's life mostly depends on the runner's training habits, mileage, and biomechanics. Shoe quality might help a bit but it really boils down to the individual who's wearing the shoes

I'm on my second pair of shoes since I started running. My first pair were ill-fated New Balance 1028 (maybe 1024, can't remember). Lasted maybe 100 miles before they were shot.

I have the Mizuno Wave Rider right now and I absolutely love them. I've got almost 300 miles on them and they still feel great. I'm toying with the idea of getting another pair and start a rotation, but I wouldn't be surprised if I can get 300 more miles out of them.

The amount of miles that any one runner gets on a pair of shoes is very individualistic. Biggest factors are stride efficiency and the runner's weight.

If I get 350 miles out of a pair I'm very happy...for me mizuno's are the most durable...NB the least...

---
megawill

:1:
Mizuno for me too. :wiggle:

I have Mizunos Wave Mavericks, and I really like them. But the reason I am buying the Asics over them is on the bottom, at the heel, is a big waffle design. The space there is big enough to pick up a large (quarter size rock) or more and wedge into the space. This happens to me enough to be annoying and I had to stop in a race to pick the rock out-it's right under your heel, so very noticable to me.
Maybe I'll email the company so they can make another version of the shoe.

How do you (anyone) determine that a shoe is "shot"? I'm about to hit 400 miles on my shoes and while i know that i can feel a difference in my left shoe, i don't know if it is "shot". I've only really been doing this for a year now, and since i changed shoes every season for cross country in high school and college, i never put deep deep miles on a shoe (plus my summer training wasn't good).

My hips or knees start inexplicably aching and the switch to newer shoes is the instant cure. Thats a sure sign for me.

I try to get at least 400 out of each pair, but will retire them when they don't feel right anymore.

I switched out at 350 mile range. The max I went on a pair was 407.26 miles

Exactly the same for me. I generally get 400-500 miles out of shoes. I've been buying cheap Nike's the past few years. Last week I splurged (for me anyway) on a pair of Asics Gt2090's and so far I really like them.

Exactly the same for me. I generally get 400-500 miles out of shoes. I've been buying cheap Nike's the past few years. Last week I splurged (for me anyway) on a pair of Asics Gt2090's and so far I really like
them.
Me too! Its like the riff raff shoe of choice!

For me, my shins start aching. After a while if ignoring that, then my knees start to hurt.

I'm a shoe ho. Really. Working at a running store has been murder for me. I swear my boss knows it. I get paid and she starts waving things in front of me.

Currently I run in:

Asics Kayanos. Love them

Brooks Addiction - great for shorter runs. Little too much for my longer runs.

Brooks Trance NXR - thought I had FINALLY found a shoe to replace my beloved Hurricane 5's, but they broke down after 57 lousy miles. One of the other ladies I run with had a similar problem. Hoping it's the shoe, they'll fix it, and I can wear it again.

I have my eyes on the Saucony Regulates hoping they'll be great, and have done an employee purchase for the Asics Evolution. Still searching for my marathon shoes.

I also have NB 856 on the way from NB. It was supposed to be the 1221's, but they were backed up so they're sending me these instead. They're sponsoring our marathon training.

And, just FYI, shoes have a shelf life of 6 months in the store, and no more than a year. They will start to degrade and lose some of their cush. Didn't know that before.