Do you get your regular size with running shoes or up a half size? I just bought a new pair and haven't worn them. They are my regular size and felt good, but I didn't try 1/2 size up. I was reading somewhere yesterday to buy 1/2 size up for running shoes?

Should I go try the next 1/2 size up before wearing these? Or go with it since I didn't think they felt too small?

Thanks.

Go for a run in your regular shoes, while your feet are all swollen from the run, try putting them on and see where your toes are.

Some brands I think account for that extra space needed and put it into your regular size. Others, no.

I have different running shoes in different sizes and they all feel right.

If you have any doubt at all about what size shoe you should be wearing, I would march your butt down to the nearest running store and have them measure your feet. I was stubborn because what kind of clown can't buy a pair of shoes for crying out loud. Apparently me. :| Anyway, if I had done this long ago I probably would have saved myself 6 months of injury and crabbiness.

ALWAYS a half-size and sometimes a full size. And as a matter of fact, I think I'm going to move up even another half-size because my feet are creeping bigger a bit. Docs will tell you that running makes your feet bigger because over the years, your arches will fall some and the bones/tendons loosen up so it's inevitable that you'll need bigger and bigger sizes. In college I ran in 9.5s and now am seriously looking at getting some 11s, even though my street shoes are mostly 9.5s and 10s where they used to be 9. :|

in normal shoes i wear a 7, 7.5. all of my running shoes need to be a size 8 or i feel too cramped to even walk, let alone run.

Reading this thread made me realize I truly have no "regular shoes." I have worn strictly running shoes of flip flops for 3 years now. I'll look pretty silly at a wedding or funeral. :|

regular shoes 6 or 6.5. My first pair of ASICS size 6.5......my ASICS two weeks ago 7.5!!!! All other running shoes are 7. you know they say 1/2 size for each child you have :umno: my mother obviously was 1.5 at 18!

This doc will tell you to try on shoes after you've been on your feet for a while. The advice about trying on shioes after a longer run is excellent. Weight-bearing activity, especially prolonged high-force as when running will definitely cause most feet to lengthen over the years (the body part that keeps "growing" after 40!), but also to widen. The arches can collapse, and the metatarsals can spread with age. They're not really "growing". Most runners completely ignore the importance of strengthening the muscles of the foot (not the ankle, the foot). The toe flexors can be strengthened, and these will help support the arches, and give new life to aching, sore and old feet!
Quality control ain't what it used to be in shoe sales!. Variations of 2 sizes are not uncommon in shoe sizes. Take your time with this, and don't let some kid who doesn't know anything about the foot or the shoes s/he's selling rush you into anything. Form follows function here. That kid probably won't be selling shoes for the rest of his life anyway. Smaller runner's show stores are probably best.
Good luck!

I ALWAYS go 1 size bigger.....

Are there any downsides to running in larger shoes? Seriously. My newbieness comes out about these things.

I was wearing some Mizunos 10.5, same size as my street shoes, generally. But I went to purchase a pair on the web and the accidently sent 11.5. Was going to mail them back but I remembered this thread and decided to ask for opinions.

I would assume that a shoe a size bigger than normal would feel big, but I have no idea of knowing how big is too big.

I'm a noob, started running this April, and I bought a 1/2 size larger. I guess you also have to consider what type of socks you'll be wearing (thin/thick). I wear these techie thin stuff and wear size 10 Adidas Supernova Cushion (normally a 9 1/2 for non running shoes) and it is perfect.

If you have some running shoes now go run with them and you'll see if it's too tight. I goofed and ran with too small of shoes in the beginning and now i lost my two big toe nails yuck.

Never heard one...

Unless your foot is flopping and sliding around like a dying seal inside the shoe, it shouldn't be a problem.

Good point, if you wear thorlos or some other really thick sock you may need to size up more, just take them with you when you try on shoes.

nice analogy. :umno: