Next week I’m going on a vacation with my family. We’re visiting the Rocky Mountains and I can’t wait to get there. I’m an avid runner and I wouldn’t like to miss out on my training, but I know that running on a high altitude differs from regular running. Can you give me a few tips about how to overcome the possible problems smoothly?

Running at high altitudes can be very unpleasant for people who are not experienced and fit. Air at high altitudes is low in oxygen and that is the biggest problem that you’ll encounter. Sometimes people have nausea and a sea-sickness feeling when training at high altitudes. You can also feel drowsy and in slow motion, so don’t expect that your velocity will be the same as when you run at sea-level terrains. Again, one of the most important things is a regular and proper breathing pattern. Another thing is to run at a moderate speed and don’t try to break your personal record. Distinguished athletes usually train at high altitudes in order to improve their performance and to increase their endurance, so maybe you return home with improved performance.

Your body will adapt to the lower oxygen level by producing more red blood cells.