Hi, I have a three year old daughter. Ever since she said her first word, we watched closely for the new ones she might say. It all went quite slowly and now, when she is three, my daughter only says simple responses or desires like "cake please" or "nice". On some questions she does not even answer. What could be the cause of the language delays of my daughter?

Hi, it is obvious that there is a problem and that your daughter has a language delay. However, you should not be desperate. Language development is a process. Some children go through that process faster while others have some difficulties. You failed to mention the other aspects of your daughter’s mental life, the way she is developing them. This is important because it is not usual for children to have different mental aspects develop differently. You should take your daughter to see a doctor so that he can evaluate the situation. Sometimes a desire for attention or some other emotional desire could produce such language delay. Anyway, as I said, a visit to the professional medical expert will clarify things.