Hello everyone. I have problems with anxiety like forever. But I have some symptoms that are, I can say weak and sometimes I really don't have any reason to be scared of them. But a few days ago I was talking with my friend and she told me that she is having constant weakness and numbness in her arms and legs. She told me that she is a little bit confused and that she is sure that this is related with anxiety. 

Is this true? I don't know and I can't tell from my experience. Can weakness and numbness in arms and legs be related to anxiety?

Tnx!

Hey Rafferty,

Has your friend been diagnosed with anxiety disorder? I'm asking because this can be related to anxiety and again, it doesn't have to be related to anxiety.

If she has been diagnosed with anxiety, then the thing that caused this weakness and numbness in arms and legs is definitely anxiety. Anxiety can cause all sorts of physical and emotional numbness, these are ones of the symptoms of anxiety and they are easy to connect to anxiety. However, if she hasn't been diagnosed with anxiety, there is a possibility that these happened because of something else and not anxiety, so I'm not 100% sure if she has anxiety or not.

Yeah, this is quite a normal thing to be happening when you are suffering from anxiety. I was suffering from anxiety myself about a decade ago and I had these symptoms from time to time. I didn't really freak out, I am basically a calm person and I investigate everything first. I consulted my doctor and he told me that it was quite a normal thing for a person suffering from anxiety to be experiencing. 

So yes, there are some chances that your friend is suffering from anxiety. She can talk to a psychologist about it, that's what I first did when I suspected that I had anxiety.

Sure it can be related to anxiety. This can be one of the signs of it. But only if she was diagnosed with anxiety, otherwise she will have to find some other cause of this. If she is not dealing with anxiety, if she is not diagnosed with anxiety, than this is a totally other thing. But, you should always remember that numerous anxiety problems can cause your muscle weakness. In this case, you should visit a doctor if you're concerned, but rest assured that your muscles may feel tired, fatigued, tingly or numb for completely natural, anxiety related reasons. So, I vote for visiting the doctor if you ask me :)

It can, but also it doesn't have to mean.

But it can be, as I said at the beginning. 

You should know that any muscle or muscle group can be affected during the anxiety. It may involve one particular muscle or group of muscles, or may randomly shift from one muscle or group of muscles to another. It may also include several different muscles or groups of muscles at the same time. It all depends. But it can be one of the symptoms. I think that you should be in constant touch with your doctor about it, just to be sure.

How come that she is sure that this is related to anxiety? Does she know things about anxiety, is she familiar with it, and regarding what you wrote, she obviously thinks that she is suffering from anxiety. Now my point is, if she is already suffering from anxiety, if she is already aware of that, can't she just go and talk to her doctor, and get an appointment with a psychologist? Weakness and numbness in arms and legs can definitely be a sign of anxiety, and if she sees a psychologist, he is going to tell her whether or not she is suffering from anxiety.

I believe that a lot of problem in here and a lot of people generally have a lot of problems with consulting someone who is an expert in, in this case we are talking about psychologist. I never had problems with it and when I was suffering from the depression and anxiety, I was not able to sleep so I have decide to talk to someone who is an expert, and I did. And that person helped me a lot. So, if she is so sure that she is dealing with anxiety, she should definitely talk to someone who can help her. It is much better than suffering from anxiety all the time.