Ever since I was a kid I thought that my lips are a little bit too big compared to other girls, and I have always been teased in school about that. When puberty came I think they got even bigger. I tried to comfort myself that it is normal and totally natural to have lips as they are, and besides I learned that the only way to correct my problem was to have a surgery. I was terrified of any surgeries, a doctor, hospitals knifes blood etc. and I didn’t have the courage to do it. Now as I got older I find myself again in doubt if I should do it or not. It’s not like my lips are way too large or ugly, it’s just that I think they are too big and it would really be nice for them to be smaller. I'm interested in the way the surgery is performed, how long does it take, does it hurt, how long will I stay in the hospital and if there are any side effects. Any info will be appreciated

This is a rare problem, since most women want their lips enlarged, but sometimes, like in your case it is necessary to slightly reduce the size of the lips because they are thought of as ugly. Mostly these procedures are performed with people who have had some kind of a trauma or infection which changed the look of their lips so that they need to be surgically brought to their natural state before the trauma. As I understood your lips are totally natural and normal so far as the shape and proportions are concerned. You also didn’t mention anything about your race, black people usually have naturally bigger lips than Caucasians or other races and it is perfectly normal. So far as the surgery itself is concerned it takes about 15 – 30 minutes, it is done under local anesthesia, although in some clinics you are given a choice of anesthesia, general or local, so you can chose your preference. The plastic surgeon makes an incision inside of your mouth, removes some tissue from your lips and closes the incision. Because the incision is made inside of the mouth no scars will be visible. It may take a week to recover fully from the surgery and no special side effects have been noticed, you have to have in mind though the standard side effects of any surgery like swelling, pain, possible interactions with anesthetic and so on. You should consult with your general practice doctor and your plastic surgeon for further information and instructions.

Hi Kaila.. I read ur posting on lip reduction and it is accurate. I would like to know how long it takes for the swelling to completely dissapear b4 being able to go back to work or school without looking swallen. Please reply soon.

Hello there,

I think it will take more then 2 months to see the final result. However post-OP bruising and swelling begins to resolve at the end of the first week. Full resolution of swelling and puffiness may take 3 to 5 weeks.

Regarding your question about how long it takes to get back to the work/school, I think that the most patients take one week off work but patients who are more concerned with privacy return after two or 3 weeks. Return to work depends on many factors including the nature of your occupation and your general state of health. The patients must avoid any heavy lifting, bending and straining for minimum 30 days after OP.

Hope this will help you!

Hi Kaila,

Thanks for replying to my posting. I really appreciate that. Are you a doctor, or have you gone through this procedure too? I am only planning on getting my bottom lip reduced. Are the results always almost natural looking, cuz i do not want to look like i'm walking around pulling my bottom lip in. As far as the anesthisia, what happens to your lips if you are allergic to it? Will the allergic reaction vanish, damage your lips, etc...? And what does your primary doc do or tell you for you to know that your allergic or not prior to doing the surgery?
Please reply soon. 8)

Huh ... I wish I could have bigger lips an you ladies want to "cut them off" o.O

It's not fair :'(

I would like to have an Afro-American full size lip ... It's sooo sexy for me :-D

Oh I love my full lips...it's just that my bottom lip is a little droopy and causes a little distratction. There are lip plumpers that can help for thin lips, have you checked out lip fusion? It has earned a Good Houskeeping Seal. check their site to learn more if you are interested.
Good luck! :-)

Ivory, thanks for this useful info! Unfortunately, I tried everything but nothing helped me :-( I'd like to use surgical solution to reduce the size of my lips. Any suggestions, or good surgeons (in Chicago area if possible)? :-(

Hi gates,
that's what i'm gonna get done as well b4 september. as far as doctors that i know who perform it...i've been to two docs in NY so far for consultation, Michael E. Jones (michaeljonesmd.com), and Dr. Tornambe. (madisonps.com), Also check out nolankane.com. I am not sure about the docs in Chicago, but u can check out this link: plasticsurgeryportal.com/illinois/chicago.cfm/Lip%20Reduction/
check for the list of certified doctors who specialize in lip surgery. As far as more info on lip surgery, check out the other lip link (anyone tried the lip reduction surgery...), "best" has hooked me up with so much info on it since she did it too. have u done any research on the procedure? Get back to me if you have other questions i can help u with, or any info u can still hook me with. Holla!

8) I haven't seen this post by best yet ... Nice, it helped me a lot to learn more about lips reduction post/pre-surgery. Thank you, ivory, and thank you "best"!

I found few surgeons in Chicago too and I'm going to call them directly to check the prices and possibly to make an appointment to get more information.

I appreciate your care Ivory. You're great! I'll stay tuned next days, so if I came up with some questions, no worries you'll be the first to know :-) I would also appreciate any useful info about lips reduction from girls who had this kind of surgery. Please share it ladies!

Also I'm interested in breast implants (C sized). Did anyone here experience this surgery and where?

Thank you all!

Mrs. Gates

You welcome gates...

hey .i dont like my lips either.im hispanic and people say my lips are sexy but i think they are a lil big to me
i have my apointment by may 11th .
but i dont know if my doctor have done lip reduction surgery
i live in chicago.
does anyone else knows about
specialist in the chhicago area?
thanks so much

How did your lip reductiong appointment go?

hello sir ! i want to know that my lips are bigger and i want a surgery for it can it is posiible or it is stable or not .if it is stable then for how long..i am very upset with it .plz reply it...