I had a heart attack a month ago. Yeah, yeah...I know I shouldn’t have had those burgers and fries. And should have weighed 30 pounds less, etc. I know all of that. What I want to do now is to change my lifestyle. You know, eating healthy foods, get some exercise, avoid stress and so on. I used to ride bike ages ago. I used to love it. Now I want to give it another shot. What do you think about cycling a month after a heart attack?

You are right about all of those things. You have to take care about your nutrition, get some exercise and avoid stressful situations. Congratulations on your choice. Riding bike can help you in two things; getting some exercise and relieving stress. Since it has been only a month since you had a heart attack I don’t think you are ready for it. I suggest you take slow walks first. Then you may pick up the pace and have brisk walks. When you are able to walk at fast speed for a mile or so, then you can consider cycling. However all of these should be done in strict accordance with your doctor’s instructions. Don’t even think on doing the things on your own. Check with your cardiologist first.