Hi. One of my toenails is turning dark and don`t know why. I`m an athlete, I live a healthy life. Whole my life I`ve been taking care of my body, to be clean, healthy and strong. Anyway, think that I might have some sort of a fungal infection or something like that? At least it`s not painful. Is there anybody who could tell me why my toenail is dark colored?

Hi. My toenails are dark colored also, and I have a nail fungus. But, perhaps a fungal infection is not your problem. Athletes often have a problem with toenails turning dark, because their toes are hitting the shoe toe area. Maybe you have tight shoes? You must wear properly fitting shoes. To treat my nail infection I use a topical anti fungal med. Hope my dark toenail will improve.

The toenail on my large toe has begun to show dark blue areas just around the base of the nail at the 7:00 and 5:00 areas, almost as if I had dropped something on the toe and it is bruising beneath the nail. But I have no recollection of hainvg experienced any trauma to the toe. Any hint as to what this might be? The ail isn't thickening. I have no pain or any other abnormal sensations - just some darkening areas at the base of the nail on either side. I didn't know whether this might be symptomatic of some malady or condition, or just one of those unexpainable and otherwise meaningless things.

You need to let a trained eye look at the toe...it could be bruising, fungus or melanoma. Only a Dr. trained in this area could tell the difference....

Omg!!! I could have wrote that statement. I took my nailpolish off and I have dark discolorations at the 5:00 and 7:00. No pain. No thickening of the nails. My iron is low. Could that be the cause? How weird....

ikr... I fell and injured my left big toe a couple of months ago. It bruised pretty bad for a couple of days and was completely gone in four days. The joint pain was bad for a bit longer because I have a joint problem to begin with. But the toenail seemed fine when the injury occurred. I keep my toenails painted and though I usually remove the last color before adding another, I thought the darker color would make the lighter polish look better, so I added it on top of the last. A couple more weeks later, I remove the polish to add another color and I notice that toenail is blackened underneath in the same 5:00-7:00 area. It doesn't hurt, but it shocked me because so much time has passed since the injury.

well i was just sitting down and all of a sudden i looked down and all of my toe nails turned grey/black and its because of a lack of blood circulating to my toes so it could be a problem with blood flow?

could be kidney problems. Google it. and check with your physician.

did u get an answer?

omg that is whathappened to me yesterday I would have never know it was grey until i took my polish off!!! I purchased anti-fungal liquid not sure what happen