After Christmas I got the Flu.
Ever since getting over it, I have had the feeling of having to "snort" to free an obstruction that seems to be where the throat and nose meet.
I am sometimes (once/twice) a day able to free something and spit it up.
It appears to be a blob of very thick mucus, kind of greyish/white in colour, but with a harder piece attached almost like a chunk of skin.
I see a very light reddish tinge to this chunk also.
I am not coughing, have no nasal discharge, my nose is dry , I am unable to blow anything out of it.
I feel fine except for this obstruction.
It does not feel like it is in my throat though, just where the nose and throat meet.
Any ideas

hmmm no suggestions....but i had today what i think you are explaining. I thought i was getting strep or somthing and saw a huge white thing in the back of my throat at about the middle of the day. It kept getting more and more sore as time went on. I got home and gargled with salt water a few times waited and hour and did it again. The second time i gagged pretty bad but it freed whatever was blocking my throat and sounds exactly what like u explained. Mine had little reddish dots in it tho but mostly greyish whitish like a thick piece of hard mucus? really dont know what it is...just glad its out!

I have been suffering from a similar situation -- hardened rubbery mucus with some red tinge (possibly blood) and what appears to be a place where skin or something white is located -- My mucus is in my sinuses not my throat.

I was wondering if it went away for you or if you did anything in particular to make it better.

. I also had a very bad flu just before I got sick. This started 6 months ago and am slow to recover as it went into sinusitis.

I am really frustrated.

Thanks!

im off school today because i have felt sick through the night.
when i woke up i had bad breath, i felt sick still i also had a headache and a sore throat. at about 11 i coffed up a huge lump of phlegm followed by a hard kind of crispy lump which was also kind of reddy orange in color.
i don't know what it is but if anyone does can you say something. :-D :-D :-D :-D

? ? ? ? ?

I have had that too! It looks like a hunk of bloody raw chicken! What is this?!

Has anyone been to a doctor? My husband has the same issue. He just got over the flu. If anyone has received a diagnosis, please let me know. Thanks

Just wondering if anyone has found out what this is as I have been coughing up a scab like thing with whitish mucous attached as well. Doctors have put me on antibiotics which have done nothing. I felt like I was getting a cold about two months ago and started taking echinecia and extra vitamin C and was able to suppress the cold and ever since have had this thing in my throat. sometimes very hard to get out. Feel fine otherwise but this is really starting to get to me. Help!!

About a year ago I was finding it difficult to breathe.My nasal passage felt blocked and no matter how many sprays I used it did not make any difference.I have had numerous tests done to no avail.I am more or less housebound as it is worse when my mouth gets dry in the cold air.Has anybody felt this way?
Audra

My entire family is having this thick rubbery mucus in throat as well which causes sore throat and dryness in the throat can not blow anything out nose but can cough up chunks of plem in morning time followed by thick rubbry mucus that sticks on the back of your throat. weather has been warm and dry - i  am thinking it is pollution or pollen. cant figure it out - been drinking a mixure of apple cidar vinagar and water (2tbs vinegar to 8 oz water) and chug it ( 1x day) to break up mucus- has helped some but this snot is not going away been battleing sinus infections constent for 5 months now.
help any info would be great.

Ive been feeling like this simce november last year. I used a netipot to move the 'chunk' out of the 'pocket' that the hard mucus is trapped in but snorted it back up in the process.. Its so irritating. And the 'doctors answer' wasnt the solution. Did anyone find the answer?

I have the same problem. It starts to feel like a raw throat feeling, that's when I know it's time to hock up this disgusting scab mucus combination, which can be very difficult and gag the heck out of me. It will sometimes come loose on it's own at times when I cannot spit it out and I have to swallow it, which also has a lovely gagging effect on me. My ENT doctor scoped my sinuses and believes it is nothing more than dry air causing the problem, especially since it mostly happens once fall begins through when spring begins. I am planning on buying a good humidifier to use during sleep and plan to try some over the counter sinus moisturizing remedies. It sucks, I hate it, and if I cannot get a handle on it over the next month I plan to see another doctor. This issue is something that developed in my mid 30s.

Anyone get an answer? Going to put a request in to see a3rd ENT but that will take 6 months or more going on about 2 1/2 yrs now nut worst when have gotten sickest. Now and 2 1/2 yrs ago had sinus infection and thrush, so antibiotics and nystatin helped, but didn't cure.

I've been having the same problem for a few years now. I went to an ENT who scoped my nasal cavity and didn't find any problems that would cause it but he did see a spot in the back where the mucus collects and forms a mucus scab. He thinks it's an infection. He gave me a refillable prescription for mupirocin which is an antibiotic nasal rinse. I use this for 10 days and that clears it up, however, it does come back after several weeks and usually whenever I get get a cold. I am always glad to get some relief from this but I am hoping to find a more permanent solution to this problem. Anyone have any luck? Please post if you do.