I have started experiencing strange and uncomfortable sensation when brush my teeth. I’m sure that it’s not caused by caries, it’s like my tooth is very sensitive to touch with toothbrush. I have found some articles about periodontal disease and like this could be one of the first symptoms. I don’t want to believe that this sensation is going to develop into severe problem. Can periodontal disease be stopped in its development? Please post.

In its first stage, gingivitis, it is mild and reversible. Gingivitis affects only gums and can be healed. Factors of risk that can ‘help’ in development of gingivitis into more severe form are tobacco smoking, defective fillings, some drugs like oral contraceptives, steroids, cancer therapy drugs or some antihypertensives. Tender gums is one of the first symptoms of periodontal disease, and others are bleeding from gums, redness and swelling, bad breath, but there also may be no signs of the disease. Regular dental checkups are the only way to keep your healthy smile. And of course, good oral hygiene, daily brushing and flossing and balanced diet can make gingivitis reversible.