OK people... I assume the title pretty much speaks for itself, but to clarify, I'm talking about any natural deodorant and not just those crystal sticks, though I'm interested in those as well. Some shops locally are selling those "artisanal" type deodorants made with orange oil and baking soda amongst other things for instance... Lush makes them too, I think. I'm naturally a very sweaty person, as in, if I don't put deodorant on right after showering, I'll stink five minutes later. Recently though, I have come to believe that the zinc deodorant I am using (nivea) might be bad for me. I'd really appreciate some opinions and experiences here...

I would guess that is highly individual. Those crystal deodorant sticks do work for me, and the advantage is that they last a very long time as well as that they do not leave those nasty white streaks on your clothes, but then again I am not naturally someone who perspires a lot. I would not be very surprised if I found out that crystal deodorant does not work for just everyone. It is meant to work by neutralizing the bacteria that cause body odor, I do know that. Whether it does in everyone, well, I don't know.

Celebrity

Yep, those crystals are made from potassium alum, which is a naturally occurring mineral that is actually used on a ton of cosmetics in powder form. It does something to the skin's pH levels that prevents those bacteria that make you stink from multiplying. I know from my friends that crystal deodorant does not work for everyone, however. If it doesn't work, it certainly won't do you any harm and may still help you stay odor free in combination with another natural deodorant. Even just plain baking soda does some people a lot of good. I have to go now but will be back with more natural deodorant suggestions tomorrow.

I have used the crystal and the crystal in a roller, dissolved in liquid with rose oil. I don't really sweat an awful lot so I don't know how these things function for a person who perspires a lot. I must say that I preferred the crystal by itself over the roller because it seemed to work a bit longer. I now use Dove because my crystals got lost and they are quite when you first acquire them and I need a lot of deodorant anyway. I don't know if the Dove is bad for my skin but I am certainly not noticing any side effects right now.

Man, I just lost a post. Hate it when that happens! Anyway, since you asked, I thought I should point out not only that not all people have the same antiperspirant needs, but also that not all natural deodorants were created equally. If you want one that works, you need to go for reputable ones. They include:

• Dr Hauschka fresh or floral deodorants. Expensive, but excellent. 
  • Weleda's rose musk deodorant
  • Aubrey Organics calendula blossom deodorant
  • Burt's Bees natural deodorant

I would imagine that at least the first two are available in your neck of the woods? I'd go for one of those then.

Celebrity
Those are some awesome tips, Pink! I have heard about the Burt's Bees deodorant and Weleda products are very good, something I know from personal experience, but I have never tried out their deodorants personally. I will have to do so at some point. Dr. Hauscka, $23? Sorry, but I am not willing to spend that on deodorant, no matter how good and how healthy for the skin! The crystal sticks work quite well, and you can order them for cheap on the internet.

Rosie

I have very sensitive skin and underarms. Drug store deodorants often gave me irritated skin and even rashes, so I looked around and recently switched to Weleda Rose. Sure, it is more expensive than drug store deodorants, but it actually does a very good job despite being all natural. If I don't use deodorant at all (also tried this) I get sweaty and stinky really fast, but the Weleda deodorant actually works better than everything I used before. The perfume is only mild, but my t-shirts stay dry and my armpits don't smell all day. That's a thumbs up from me!

I read something about making your own deodorant the other day. The ingredients were shea butter, baking soda, coconut oil, cornstarch, and the essential oils of your choosing just for the scent. I thought it was fascinating. I'm quite happy with my deodorant so I don't think I'll go through the trouble of actually doing this, and it also sounds quite expensive since you have to buy all those things (though you probably get a huge batch), but it sounds like some people on this thread might be interested, so I'm mentioning it. The active ingredient seems to be baking soda. Cornstarch, too, absorbs sweat, I guess? You can't get much more natural than DIY-ing your deodorant!

I've been using Baxter Of California natural deodorant for... hm... around three weeks now? At first I noticed that it wasn't as good as the cheaper and less natural deo I was using before, and that I actually needed to wash my armpits and reapply a few times a day to prevent the body odor. Those were some very hot days as well, actually.

Well, I think my body has got used to the new deodorant now because I'm not stinking any more. I think other people might see the same thing happen to them, that their body takes a while to adjust or something. I'm happy with my deodorant and think it probably healthier in the long run, you know?