Can you tell me something about interval training for long distance cycling? I want to start exercising for my first amateur race and up to now I’ve been riding every day and tried to cover the distance of 30 miles. It’s exhausting and I’d like to make a training plan. How to create the most efficient exercising routine which will improve my performance without exhausting me?

It’s a mistake to have only one kind of exercising. There’s no use in trying to improve your performance by doing the same thing every day. There should be various modes of exercising. The interval training is one of the most efficient ways of achieving great results. An interval is actually a short period of intense physical activity after which follows a longer period of relaxation. That’s why there are two modes – interval of intense physical activity during which you are supposed to have strenuous exercises and so-called “relaxation period” the most important thing is that there is supposed to be at least 48 hour break between the intervals in order for your body to fully recover. During the intensive training you should watch out for your heart rate.