I am throwing a dinner party next week, and one of the guests is a person with celiac. I am going to ask her to double check what she can and can’t have, but I would really like to do the meal planning tonight. It would be great if I could get to the supermarket tomorrow to get all my ingredients in. I know that people with celiac have a whole host of foods they need to avoid – something to do with gluten, I think? Could anyone please be kind enough to send me a list of foods to avoid? Of course, if there are good online resources, feel free to just send me some links! Thanks in advance!

You are right about the gluten. People with celiac need to avoid anything that contains gluten. Basically that means all processed foods (even if there are just traces, they are still gluten!), except those foods that are specifically produced to be gluten free. Besides that, there are additional foods that celiac patients also have to avoid. The list is very specific and quite long too, so I suggest that you simply ask your friend, to be on the safe side! And thank you for being so considerate about what your friend can and can't have!