I have been feeling shaky after eating for some time bow and have been to the doctor because I suspected diabetes. Now, after tests being carried out, I know that I do not have diabetes. But I am still feeling shaky after eating. What else could possibly be wrong with me?

Hi Bevan,

The symptoms that you are describing have happened to my uncle few years ago. But he went to hospital and it was diabetes. They ran some more test and he got prescription for insulin. He is still using it and now he is all good.

But you said you were tested and it is not diabetes. Then this could relate to your blood pressure. Have you had any problems with blood pressure in the past? Are you using any medication right now? There is always possibility that the shaking is a side effect to some medication. What did your doctor told you? Did he had any suggestions? You need to do some more test to find out what is causing this.

It could be low blood pressure reactions.... I thought I was becoming diabetic too, having lightheaded episodes, shaking after eating, anxiety. Some days driving to work was frightening because I felt like I was going to pass out while I was on the road. I was (finally) diagnosed with LOW blood pressure. My blood pressure would be "normal" and then for no known reason would suddenly drop, bringing on above symptoms. I am on medication now to raise BP - Midodrine 2.5 mg 3x daily - it helps immensely. However, it is a very "delicate" drug and sometimes loses its effectiveness from pill to pill. When that happens and my BP gets a little low (but not too low) I will experience shakiness after eating, but generally feel ok otherwise. If it gets really low, then the symptoms become more pronounced, and sometimes include "rubbery" feeling in my legs, burning on bottoms of feet, intense anxiety. These symptoms are very similar to insulin resistance symptoms, whch makes it harder to diagnose. Had to see a cardiologist to figure it all out. I maintain a low-carb diet because the wheat/corn/starch seem to trigger my low BP. We are now suspecting a food allergy to these products, because I can eat candy (such as fudge) without any symptoms occurring.

Hope this helps. Ask your GP to recommend a cardiologist.

I have diabetic complicacy. In 2009 I started feeling shaky and very abnormal. Most probably, I gave long gap between meals and probably I took more medications than required(Diamicron and Metformin) Sugar did not show low in the meter but feeling low. I could not understand that it was low sugar symptoms. I visited emergencies, but they could not understand anything like me, because sugar was not low in measurements It was 5 to 9 mmol/l then . More two months I was feeling constant shakiness, fear panic etc. Then my family physician stopped Diamicron and metformin, I was feeling little better but sugar went high. I was afraid of eating Carbs for going further high. It was then 10 to 16 mmol. I started eating vegetable and very little carb. After two hours of eating sugar came down to 10 from 15 and then sugar tried to go down too quickly and I started feeling serious hypo, too much pressure in the brain. I started eating every two hours to stop that. After one month, it stopped to give that kind of hypo feeling, But sugar remained high, because I had no medicine to lower sugar. I continued this way another three months having worse feeling of high sugar and blood pressure variations. One day I ate a little white rice and I started feeling serious hypo. Sugar came down to 8 from 15 in one hour (quick speed). After that, even if I ate a little bread, I was feeling hypo. Family physician, hospital emergencies could not suggest any thing what should I do. When I felt this hypo, I started to eat chicken though sugar is not really low) . After one more month of doing like this, sugar came down 8 to 11 without medicine and stabilized. Still then no doctor gave any medication to lower sugar. I cannot live by eating meat and little vegetable only. I tried to add more carbs, sugar was going high again. I almost stopped carb, still it going too high. A kind emergency guy helped me to find an endocrinologist But did not give any medication but told that, she will give me ACTOS. When sugar went to 20 mmol level, I went to her, she gave me me ACTOS. But ACTOS needs a month to lower sugar. I requested her to give me INSULIN because, I cannot survive a month with sugar constantly on 20 mmol. From then I improved, sugar is most time is under 7 , very rare time it goes to 9 after eating. Sugar is under control but, I feel some symptoms most of the time, some times, body burns after eating(Not in the stomach). I feel shakiness after eating, depression etc Probably adrenaline has been harmed and it is malfunctioning. Can any body suggest me for further improvement?

Have your thyroid tested too. Research endocrine problems, many have the same reactions as diabetes because they are related. I have hypothyroidism and get shaky after meals, mainly when I don't eat enough protien. You need healthy fats and proteins and lower your sugar and carb intake.

Hi I'm currently having same symptoms aged 41. I had three episode yesterday where I'd eaten as normal but once I went to be physical, I shook through my hands and arms felt weak. The sweat poured from me and I crave something sugary. After a coffee, with half a sugar, I was ok, only for it to then happen twice later. I spoke to my dr who advised that it sounds that my sugar falls to the bottom end of normal causing these symptoms but still within the NORMAL range so doesn't show as diabetes. He advised to carry glucose tables/sweets which I'd literally just been and bought. Today I still feel strange with a headache.

so nice, well not really, but comforting to hear there are other stories like this out there. I am on the athletic side, late thirties, no family history, but developed every single symptom of begin diabetic, even though my Doctors would not label me that. It was really bad and still is after eating the wrong meal, all the things mentioned before, shakiness, panic, fear, intense hunger pangs, frequent urination, dry lips, even could taste those ketoids ( excuse my spelling ) i would suck down an orange or sweets thirty minutes after eating and just 'snapped out of it' . I even went in with a blood sugar reading of 52 and they still just told me it was in my head. I really hate the system here in the states at times. Thanks for all your posts they do help a lot of people out there, still looking for answers, had to quit drinking all alcohol, coffee, and just test my food as I go and pray for the best, but if you can find a pattern you can overcome it and it does get easier I promise

Dr. Webinstein, I agree with you! I am going to be a nurse practitioner soon. I hate medicine here also. I also have these symptoms, with being shaky. Even right now and I just ate a pretty decent size meal, eggs, spinach, mushrooms, sausage, toast. Two hours later, I had to eat a bowl of cereal because of the shakiness. I just went to the MD, all my labs are normal. I have been diagnosed with hashimotos thyroiditis. I am 49. My last TSH was 3.5 up a little I was keeping it at 1.5. I asked the doctor to test me for diabetes and he just looks at me like I'm crazy and asks why. My fasting glucose levels are usually between 80-90. My cholesterol is slightly elevated, nothing horrible. The only med I take is Armour Thyroid. I think it is my thyroid now, but still not sure. My BP also runs low and my resting HR is sometimes too low also 55 sometimes. It is crazy, been trying to figure out how to eat more healthy. It is enough to drive me crazy, and they all want to send you to specialists who charge you more money to do more tests. I am a medical professional and my own health drives me insane I can only imagine how frustrated patients get.

Bevan, look into reactive hypoglycemia. I just did and it describes my symptoms to a tee. I am constantly dizzy, shaky, and sometimes I have a hard time finding my words. I need to fix this because I am a new family nurse practitioner and I need to be able to talk to people. I need to find a good endocrinologist, hard to find!

Couldn't understand why I felt so shaky after eating, so much so that I couldn't continue holding my grandson for more than just a few minutes and even to the point of needing to lay down. I see on this page that many people are having similar issues even though sugar is within a normal range after eating.

would your glucose meter show that you have low blood sugar if you took it right then? how can dr.'s test for this? mine just says 'you are not diabetic' since your fasting sugar taken once every 6 months is under 100. doesn't want to talk about how I feel after I eat.

I get the shakes before I eat an I get light headed and start to black out and my legs get numb does that mean that I have low sugar

Look for Vanderpump. He is the best in London. Practices at Royal Free and The Wellington Hospital.

Some people are just genetically prone to sugar lows, i am, both my parents and me and my bro are susceptible it, however my bro has diabetes, there is diabetes on both sides of the family but mainly just with the males but i think anyone with diabetes in their genetics can still be susceptible to sugar lows more so than other people, i also have PCOS from my mum side of the family so that doesn't help and with hormone conditions your even more prone to it, i'm not awake at all any day of the week if i don't get some cofffee and a bit of sugar, but bananas seems to sometimes make me a bit shaky because it's high in sugar so i try not to eat them much. I do not have blood pressure because i had a standard test for that when i moved back to england, my, my bro and parents get real cranky though if we are having a sugar low, it just happens to some families.

I shake after eating and I get dizzy going from a laying down position to a sitting position