Uh, hi. I was just diagnosed with type two diabetes yesterday, and I was wondering what I'm supposed to eat. My doctor kind of hit on it, but he wasn't very specific. Then my best friend recommended this web site to me, since she doesn't really have any experience. So... just reply, please, if you know anything about what I should be eating, how much, when I should eat (before insulin, or after/what time of day)... you know, that kind of stuff. I understand that I have to watch my blood sugar, so I can't eat icecream and fast food all the time, but can I ever? Do I have to live on vegetables like some kind of rabbit? I'd prefer answers from someone who has experienced this before, or if you have medical experience, your input would be appreciated. Answers don't have to be long, just kind of outline all that you know about eating with diabetes. Um, I hope you all had a good Christmas, and happy New Years, everybody!

Hello, Guest.... actually you can eat anything you want on the diabetic diet.  Of course, the better options would be foods that are natural and full of vitamins and minerals.  You just need to watch your carb intake.  You may want to ask your doctor about how many carb units you are allowed for each meal.  Usually the doctor will prescribed the following:  2-3 carb units at breakfast, 3-4 at lunch, and 3-4 at dinner.  You may have 1 carb unit at snack time as well.  To know what a carb unit is, all you need to know is that a carb unit = 15 grams of carbs.  For example, an apple is approximately a carb unit or 15 grams of carb.

Has anyone have a good reference chart for a diabetic to follow for calculating carb units?