I feel extra hungry after my evening gym workout lately. I try and drink water before I go to the gym, and water when I return home after the gym. So what else am I doing wrong. The whole ppoint in going to the gym is to help me burn calories after dinner, and lose some weight. But, if I have an appetite after my workout, and had dinner before the workout, then I'm eating 2 dinners per night. What should I do, to control my appetite, and not feel famished after working out? Take a diet pill after dinner, or drink more flax shakes after dinner, or when I get home?

Celebrity

Hey Bluerose. 

it's perfecty normal that's you're hungry after workout - and you should eat after working out. However, focus on what you eat. Focus on proteins - lean meat - for example one smaller beef steak or one small chicken breast, or a slice of fish.

Don't eat carbs in the evenening - you can eat veggies (fresh, grilled or cooked), but focus on meat.

If you don't like that idea - have you tried protein shakes? A protein shake (whey protein) is also recommened after a workout.

let me know what you think.   

yes and thank you. I will shop for protein powder at mall soon. What do you think of Spirulina shakes?

workout burns your calerious so have some prworkout diet with consult with your physician you feel the difference...

Celebrity

I think Spirulina shakes are totally fine... in terms of minerals etc. they are much more nutritious comparing to whey protein ( more vitaminc C, iron...) on the other hand whey has a bit more proteins, so each has some advantages. My point is... I am not trying to advertise shakes :) I think they are ok, but an absolute basis is a good nutrition plan.
What do you usually eat for dinner?
Why don't you split your dinner? I would try to do that and observe the results ... perhaps get the carb part of the dinner before your workout and the protein part after the workout.

For my dinner I alternate steamed rice with veggies, and some baked chicken, or other days a lean "Healthy Choice" TV dinner, and 1/2 cranberry juice with 1/2 water and ice cubes. Then I go to gym, then come home and have either granola with 1/2 milk 1/2 water, or snack on a fruit shake w/ fiber blended in e/o day. Then sometimes later I might have some cheese popcorn with 1/2 milk again...

Celebrity

OK, once again - it is normal to be hungry after workout - you burn caloreis and you need to replace at least some of them ... plus you need to rebuild muscles. In short - you need energy (food) after a workout. I've seen women starving after evening workouts (I mean that's what they say ... that they don't eat after evening workout - and trust me - most women do that) and they lose neither fat nor weight - they stay the same... 

For dinner I would definitely skip rice - for lunch it's okay (not more than 50 g dry weight), but not for dinner.

Instead - increase your veggies - you may even double them (if you're not eating beans, corn, avocado...) - but if you're having zuccini, cucumber, tomatoes, broccoli etc double the amount without worries...

One steak, fish or skinless chicken breast (cca 150-250g) is a perfect choice for dinner. 

Juice (cranberry, orange - whatever ...) is always unnecessary sugar ... it is always better to have one piece of whole fruit instead. Even if your juice of choice has only natural sugars (fructose) it is still better to eat one orange instead squeezing the juice out of it and throwing the remains ...  I always recommend - drink just water - water is the perfect and the healthiest choice. 

Also - during your trainings - I hope you're drinking water and no sugary sports drinks 

Now regarding granola and grains and fruit after workout - as I said in one of my posts - they are good and yes, you need them, but not if you're working out in the evening. becasue after your eveninig snack you're going to bed... with a sugar-high. 

Could you switch granola for plain oats? Granola is tastier, I know ...  because it has more sugars (you're lucky if you get only honey...)... but oats are much more "cleaner" in terms of nutrients (no artificial sugar )...  If possible I would really opt for rolled oats - soak them with hot water - wait 20 minutes - and to add more taste - mash one bananna or some other fruit of your choice. You can even add one spoon of nuts ... This is perfect pre-workout meal option. 

Here is my suggestion...

Switch your meals - have fruit shake and/or oats/granola before your workout,

Both me and my husband usually have a smoothie or sth in this direction before workout  - for example: 1 banana, water, 2(me) - 5 (husband) spoons of oats, you can even add a spoon of chia seeds for more protein or add some chocolate protein powder for more taste. Try it ... And you can go direclty to the gym after about 30 minutes after your meal becasue this is relatively light meal. I know I can't workout about 2 hours after my lunch ...  

If you won't have enough energy during your training - next day add one smaller spoon peanut butter or even better - add spoon or two of oats.    

And then - after your workout - have your protein-high dinner (meat or fish). Post workout meal it is a perfect time to bring some muscle re-buidling proteins to your body.

I would recommend that you skip rice, but if you can't, please do limit the amount. 

xox

Thanks for the nutrition and exercise tips...

Celebrity

anytime. I hope you'll find some of these useful. Let us know whether anything helps..

I'm wierdly the oppositve. I feel so full after I workout for some reason, even if I was hungry beforehand. Does that make any sense why that would happen?

I had rice and broccoli before my workout, 4 ish , and then after I became really over satiated on a fruit smoothy with extra broccoli and flax seed. It made me feel so full that I almost choked. Also my tummy stuck out for quite awhile after downing this huge glass of Non fat yog(1 container),broccoli,cantelope, 1 healthy slice, and 1/4 cup flax seed and fiber cereal1/4 cup, and h2o, Why did I feel so overly full? It was all healthy, and I thought fiber is always good for you. How long does this uncomfortable stomach feeling, of being way toooooo ful, last/ How long will my stomach look like its overly full, as well? Only after this smoothy?

I think it's a "Girl Thing."

Celebrity

well... you consumed a lot of liquid - yogurt, h2o, cantelope contain lots of water (and sugar), and even broccoli. .. I think that was the main reason, plus of course the calories you consumed from the flaxseed (200 kcal) and fiber cereal (from 50-100 kcal). Smoothies are tricky :) Imagine - you would eat all that in about 15-20 minutes because you have to chew etc... but with a smoothie ... you drink that in maybe less than 5 minutes :) Go slowly with smoothies :) But yes, they are totally delicious and healthy ...

You count Flax seed as Calories???
What do you eat for a typical lunch?And,
please don't say a fish sandwhich...

Celebrity

Why not? :) Everything has calories and flax seeds have calories too... I hope you consume them ground I am trying to explain why you felt so full... Add that amount of flax seeds to your eggs in the morning, to your muessli around 1 pm, and then to the chicken salad at 4 pm and then to the shake when you return from gym - and you get 1000 additional calories. I am not saying flaxseeds are bad ...

Depends what kind of fish sandwich :)

I usually have 4-6 meals. Lunch (around 5 pm) is usually the biggest meal and my usual lunch would be:
1. grilled chicken breasts, fish or some lean meat (up to 200 g) steamed or grilled veggies
sometimes I add a bit of cous cous (30 g per person) or rice, or I make a rissoto..; or I would make a cesar's salad with home made yogurt dressing;
2. spaghetti (70-80 g dry weight) with meat or shrimps and vegetable sauce (I make sauces at home...)
3. rich chowder - my favorite is with salmon, cauliflower and kale...

A fish sandwich or chicken sandwich is an option if I have an early lunch (breakfast around 9 am; early lunch around 1pm) - I eat chicken sandwich in pita with 1 piece of chicken breasts and some veggies like a few pieces of tomato or cucumber ... This is what I call a sandwich :) You can say you wouldn't get full from that kind :)

I am not a total purist regarding nutrition, but I eat relatively healthy and clean and I do try to avoid processed food as much as possible = this is hard sometimes because for example flour, spaghetti etc... are processed but there are alternatives to this too. It just takes more time... I do absolutely avoid all prepared sauces and all microwaved versions of meals, and 80% of time if not more I cook at home or prepare meal at home and take it with me. I do measure (weigh) food - particularly rice, spaghetti, cous cous ...

I am trying to help and let you know what worked for me.