I am diabetic and constantly thirsty. I understand that being constantly thirsty is a part of being diabetic but is there anything I can do so that I'm not constantly thirsty? It is possible to drink something other than water that would be good for me and at the same time get rid of being constantly thirsty. Being diabetic really does suck. I wish I had paid closer attention to my diet when I was younger. If I had, I probably wouldn't be diabetic and constantly thirsty now. Does anyone know how much water I should drink? It seems like I'm taking way to much water in.

If your diabetes was under control, you shouldn't be so thirsty. How are your blood sugars? Are they stable or are they running high? This is something you need to monitor and try to get under control. You should be consuming about 64 ounces of water a day with normal activity. Are you drinking more than that? Sometimes it seems like you are drinking a lot but you're not. It is your body telling you it needs hydrated. Most people are dehydrated and need to drink more water. Monitor your water intake by filling up a 64 ounce container and see how much you drink in a day. Good luck!

Diabetes and thirst go hand in hand. I'm assuming you have diabetes type 2 which is the most common type of diabetes in adults. Your best bet is to stick with water to keep yourself hydrated. It's interesting that you mention that you should have paid closer attention to your diet when you were younger. The medical community is reporting that the number of children diagnosed with diabetes type 2 is on the rise. It is reported that many of these children with diabetes type 2 are coming from families with a history of diabetes. The children most likely to develop diabetes type 2 are those that are obese (overweight). Whether it runs in your family or not, there are some things that can be done to protect children from getting type 2.

From early on, make sure children avoid candy and soft drinks. They should drink a lot of water. Inspire them to eat healthy foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grain breads. Fiber is important as well. If you're in an early stage of diabetes type 2, your doctor will put you on a healthy diet and set up an exercise regime that you can follow. If you're beyond early stage, you may require insulin. When you are on insulin, you'll need to pay close attention to your diet as well.

As far as the amount of water to take in, the recommended amount varies from 8 to 12 glasses (8 ounces, 1 cup) daily. If you exercise and sweat a lot, you may need to take in more.