I need to know more details how do Hernias happen. I am totally shocked and frightened since I was diagnosed with Hernia in my abdomen. I only felt mild pain in upper abdomen, under the rib. It turned out that simple cough caused this lump. Please help me! I need to know more about this condition. I am 47 year old, male. Thank you in advance.

Well, one of the functions of abdominal wall is to provide strong support to the internal organs which are exerting significant outward pressure. The opening of a gap in the tissue can occur of its own accord at a point of natural weakness, or by over-stretching a part of the tissue, but if a weakness should open up in that wall, and it does not really matter how or why it happened. Those gaps are problem. Hernia commonly appears in the abdomen, but it can be from the ribs to the legs and groins. And things like simple cough or sneeze can cause lump.