Since I started running back in February my shoe size has gone up a 1/2 size and my feet have widened out from a D to a EE. Has anyone else had a similar experience or am I going through another growth spurt. (at 30 8O )

Can't say that I've had any change. My new pair of Response are definitely more narrow than their worn out counterparts, but they will settle as the old ones did. Just as long as you don't get any taller. You are just right to run with at the height you are now.

My running shoes are 13's. I think my feet have gotten more mushed out from running but it's probably also due to wearing such thick socks.

Paul, that can happen when one embarks on an exercise program, specifically running. The feet can sometimes just flatten out. So no, you're not going through a growth spurt. Just remember that when you buy shoes, get them for feel and fit and not for a specific number.

also different manufacturers have different sizes

road runner sports is real good about telling you to up size or true fit

Just to clarify. I know how to pick out shoes. My running shoes fit fine because I have gone with a bigger size, it is the rest of my shoes that no longer fit. That means I have to buy a whole lot of new shoes or keep walking around with my toes all balled up. I was just curious if this happened to anyone else...

Happened to me and by more than just 1/2 size. Been running, off and on, but mostly on, for 10 years. My first pair of running shoes was a 7 1/2 Nike. Have never worn anything but Nike, and now when I buy shoes they are always 8 1/2.

Oh, and, you know what they say....small feet...small.....shoes????

It's a runner true-ism, I've read about it a few times. One thing is running does do a "flattening" job on your arches. Easy to imagine that as you lose the contour of your foot, it'll get longer. Also, the pounding actually "smashes" all those "foot bones" apart and smashes the natural "cushioning" we're born with on the bottoms of our feet making them flatter and bigger. I read once about Bill Rodgers saying he has nothing for barefoot cushion left on the bottoms of his feet, the bones are right below the skin.
So yep..get used to those new canoes, you earned 'em. :D

I have experienced the same thing. At first, I went up a half size for my running shoes only. Now I have to get all shoes larger than I used to. I also just turned 30.

Also, if I can get a pair of regular shoes with the width just one size wider- then I can wear my old size again.

Mine got a wee bit bigger when I first started running, too. Only about half a size, though.

I think after that initial widening/flattening you're okay. After all, Khalid Khannouchi does not look like he's wearing flippers.

Mine got a little bit smaller. When I started I was a size 10 now I wear 9.5