How much of a difference do you think a shoe makes? Ive been arguing with a friend of mine who always buy the most expensive shoes and claims that they improve his running results. I dont think so. Since Im a recreational runner I dont think I should waste too much money on gear. I always buy moderately priced shoes with average performance and Ive never had any problems. Lets hear your opinion.

Health Guru

As long as the shoe you wear is comfortable and gives you good arch support then that's all that matters, top name running shoes your just paying for the name of the company that all they still give you the same comfort and support the cheaper makes do.

Unless your a professional athlete and you need to shave 10s of seconds off your times then they will be no more useful for you than your moderately priced ones do.

Um, this ones a real mindbender. Kidding. It all depends on how you look on things and what your priorities are. If youre serious runner, no matter whether a pro or recreational, quality gear is a must. This stands, of course, should your financial situation allows you. Otherwise, any shoe will do if youre willing to run. I usually always buy expensive and quality running shoes, because I think theres a reason for their being pricey. I dont want to exhaust my bones and muscles or, God forbid, injure something. I dont want to have problems with health in my old age. But, I must admit that I dont pay too much attention to other sportswear. My sweatshirts are not branded, for example.

When I first started running a few months ago I bought some of the cheapest shoes I could find, cost me $25 or so, I didn't really think much of it. They fit perfectly fine and that's all that mattered. Recently I decided to treat myself for sticking to my running routine and picked up a nice pair of black New Balance 8507's for $88, after all, I was a runner now :D I love these shoes so much, they're lighter weight than my old ones, far more comfortable, and they just look damn good which translates into confidence. Makes me feel like a real runner and not some "Guy trying to lose weight", that motivation alone is worth the extra $$$ in my opinion :D