Hi

I'm new and know nothing about running. The longest distance i've ever run is 5 miles. I have a road bike and have mainly been cycling for pleasure and fitness. I wanted to try something different, so last week I bought a pair of Nike air pegasus shoes. I went for a 3 mile run and noticed chafing on my right foot (the left side of the arch). I think the culprit is the 'AirRide liner', the layer between the midsole and the foot. (not sure if those two are the same). There seems to be a sharp, slightly jagged edge that rubs the skin. The left shoe feels absolutely fine. Will this problem eventually disappear, is there a 'breaking-in' period?

maybe some of you have experienced a similar issue and could share your thoughts, thanks guys

Shoes should feel good right from the beginning. Possibly a defect in the shoe if the other feels fine maybe. I'd take them back.

:1:
Running Shoe Myth #1 Debunked: There is no "breaking in period"

thanks for the replies guys

If you're talking about the "sock liner" insole, those things are teh suck. Toss everyone you get. Buy yourself some quality insoles like Sof Sole or Dr Schols or Road Runner Sports or Superfeet. Give a few different models a try. Personally, I like the Sof Sole Arch Plus. I can put these insoles in nearly any running shoe and because they fit my foot so well, all shoes 'feel' the same. You can also experiment with full-length or 3/4-length. In "low-volume" shoes, I'll use a 3/4-length sometimes. And if you size up a half size more than typically, you'll get enough volume in there to accomodate some really comfy insoles that'll add a whole new dimension of cush. Believe you me, if you haven't tried it, do it!

Also, are you using dri-fit socks? They really help on the chafing issues.

Sometimes that will make a difference, too.

Dri-fit socks seem like a silly expense but they saved my bacon plenty of times. I will never buy non dri-fit again.

Well I talked to someone at the local store and he suggested i change the insoles, which is also what jrjo suggested. He told me if the problem persists, that would mean the problem lies with the shoe itself. I'm learning most of this stuff as i go along. This particular salesperson said Asics are probably a better choice for most people because they tend to be designed for overpronators which represent about 75% of runners (according to him). He said Nike tend to design more 'neutral' shoes, and therefore don't provide the same support.
So I'm gonna get some new insoles and see how it goes. Regarding socks, I've just been using generic Reebok socks that I played squash in a couple times, without really thinking about it too much. So maybe that's another avenue to explore.

Well thanks again for the replies, i do appreciate it