Scientists have warned that many probiotics sold on the market in UK aren’t worth a penny and that they may even cause more harm than good.
Probiotics are said to boost our wellbeing and prevent diseases by keeping the “bad bacteria” at bay. Those that have been tested and showed effective may actually aid in digestion and decrease stomach problems. The best probiotcs are Yakult, Actimel and Multibiontaas well as Supermarket own-brands. They contain around ten million 'friendly bacteria' from the Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria families per bottle or capsule.
However, there are probiotic drinks, capsules, yogurts and powders that have the wrong bacteria or the wrong number than stated on their labels. Some even have pathogens in them.
The problem is in the law. By law, the manufacturers are not obligated to say which 'friendly bacteria' they have used or how much. As a result, many of these marketed probiotcs, especially those being sold on the internet, are ineffective.
Those probiotics that work can, scientists report, help in preventing conditions like ulcerative colitis, children’s allergies and even colon cancer.
However, most of the probiotics that are effective are expensive and may not be reachable by those who need them the most.
There are also natural ways of boosting the levels of good bacteria in the gut. It is by eating a lot of fruits and vegetables that contain prebiotics - sugars that the 'friendly bacteria' in our gut need to grow.

Hey, just wanted to add to this and say that I have Imflamatory bowel disease, I use tescos own probiotic yogurt. Since using them I have seen a dramatic improvement in the way my stomach acts and feels. However, I should say that I think its one of those things that it will work for some, but not for others. I see my Gastroentrologist every month and she says probiotics is good. I guess you just have to try it to know, ya know?!
Anyways thats me done
hope your okay <3
kee
xx