Hi everyone. I have a senior dog. He lives with me in my house. His health is very fragile so I don’t let him sleep outside by night. He usually spends his time indoor, usually covered with blankets and surrounded with stuffed toys. He is like a child. And now his house that my brother built for him is always empty. I miss having a dog out there to bark when strange people try to come in. So we decided to get a new puppy and keep him outside. The only thing we are not sure about is how to feed her. We give our senior dog raw food. Is that the best diet for a puppy too?

If you want yourself a guard dog, the raw food is the best choice. One guard dog a day keeps the postman away. Don’t mind my weird sense of humor. :)

As for feeding your puppy raw, I can suggest that you start with only one protein source (maybe the chicken is the best, unless he is allergic to it) and balance calcium and phosphorus.

There are some general rules which promote feeding your puppy three times a day with about three percentage of his anticipated adult body weight. I can agree with them and my final advice is that you don’t forget the supplements (probiotics, fish oil and bovine colostrum) for stronger immune system.

Good luck with your little bodyguard!

Hey. The raw diet program is really good for dogs, but I suggest you not to start with totally raw dog food with your puppy. Even if raw dog diet is designed to mimic a dog’s natural menu, I have to agree that you should start with protein source.  Puppies needs a little bit different menu than senior dogs. You should make this eating plan with your vet, that is the best choice. Also, if you want to give him raw bones, you should always supervise your puppy. Puppies grow 20 times faster than adult dogs, so they do require special diet program. That is why I am saying that you should consult your vet, because he will give you advice about your puppy’s diet. My advice is to feed your puppy four meals a day until the age of four or five months. 

Hey. I have a dog, he is almost seven months old. I had the same problem, because I was in big doubt – should I feed him with raw diet program, or should I wait. So, I consulted my vet and he told me that I should give some raw food to my puppy, such as chicken. If my puppy had four meals, I should give him at least two raw meals. Is it very difficult to get this balance right now. You should always know that puppies need the best possible diet that will help them grow up. Any change in diet could upset them. SO, you should find good menu.

Hi. It is good choice, but you have to be careful, since we already do know that puppies are extremely sensitive. I do agree that you should find the best diet program for your puppy with the vet, but here are some tips that I have learn in the last month. Do it on really easy way. You should know that it is not so wise to mix your puppy’s raw food with kibble, because kibble requires a different pH in the gut to digest, and it will also make your puppy susceptible to the bacteria in the raw meats. 

Yes. It is even better to start sooner with raw diet. I wish I’d known that back when my dog was a puppy. 

My advice for you is to start with turkey. And don’t mix his raw food with kibble. I don’t know why people do that. Kibble requires a different pH in the dog’s  gut to digest.  This will make your puppy more susceptible to the bacteria in the food he’s eating. 

Also make sure you balance the calcium and phosphorus. And make sure he eats three times a day. 

You will reduce the amount of daily meals later on. 

And here are some more tips I forgot to mention.

Since you are just starting with this diet and you have no idea how your puppy’s digestive system will react, you should start with just one protein source, I recommend chicken or turkey. And then after a week you can include the next source.

Don’t overdo it with the offal- just don’t. I see a lot of pet owners do that and I don’t understand why. How can they not know that it’s just a little puppy, his digestive system is still fragile and developing.  Liver and other organ meat often cause loose stools in puppies. Especially if they have never tried them before.  So be careful with that.

Yes, I think so. I am a bit scared because puppies are so small and fragile, I am afraid of the bacteria infections even when I give my senior cats raw food, let alone when I give it to my 4 month old puppy.

I’ve heard it’s best to start with chicken meat and see if the puppy’s digestive system is accepting it right. If it is, you should continue feeding him chicken meat  for a week at least. If he hasn’t have any bad reactions you can then include some other meat. Maybe turkey.

Good luck and let us know how did it go.