Hello! I am Mary and I am twenty. When I was a child I used to have many problems with my throat. I used to have severe throat infections and although my doctor recommended tonsillectomy my parents decided to wait. As the time passed the infections became rare and my parents decided to avoid tonsillectomy. I haven't had any problems with my throat lately but my left tonsil has been swollen for some time now. What could be the cause?

Hello! Tonsils usually become swollen because of infection. There are also many other situations that could cause swollen tonsils. Since you haven't had any infections recently and your left tonsil is swollen for some time I would recommend to see your doctor or ear, nose and throat specialist. A cancer of the lymph nodes can also involve tonsils and cause one to grow bigger then the other, but since you don't have any other symptoms you shouldn't be afraid. You doctor will examine you and find the cause. Don't worry!