I have recently been diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis...the doc's best guess is that I have had it for 3 yrs or so. I'm trying to gain weight on a low fat diet but have some questions without answers.
1. I found some great recipes calling for "butter busters"...does anyone know if this substance is still on the market and if so where one would purchase it?
2. Many low fat recipes call for alcohol as a taste modifier. Is it OK to use even if you are on a no alcohol diet?
3. I don't seem to heal as fast as my doc predicts...I am 72, but previosly walked, biked, gardened, worked aroung the house and the yard. Now after 2 ercps and other treatment, I mostly want to retreat to bed. My last ercp was 5 days ago....one of my stents had migrated to my liver so it was a longer procedure than expected (2 hrs or so.) Is this why I feel so awful?

Any comments or like experiences etc. would be helpful. Thanks o.O

Hi I am replying to someone who asked about chronic pancreatits, I am 15 years old and have chronic pancreatis it started when they didnt take out my gallbladder soon enough so my pancrease accted up. some things i find usefull are taking my vitamims like multi vitamins, vitamin E and others. If you get diareah from you pancreatits a thing i started taking are probiotics you can find them in a health store. (they are supposed to help but i have only been on them for 2 days so just a suggestion) I hope i helped you a little i know what your going through and no matter what happens NEVER GIVE UP!

I have had six acute pancreatic attacks, which has progressed into chronic pancreatitis. I was very overweight when I first was sick. I currently have lost 65 pounds over two years. I tend to loose large sums of weight in short periods of time, which is an indication that my diet is not helping my illness. It can mean you are being malnourished.

I have found that eating carbohydrates will help with gaining or maintaining your weight. Fruit, breads, and potatoes are great sources of carbohydrates. High carbs and low protein will help maintain weight and not eating a lot of protein will minimize your abdominal pain. Protein causes your pancreas to produce the enzymes that causes the pain.

Also eat several small meals.

However, if you are diabetic this will not work. Carbohydrates are very bad if you diabetic. I am sure you already know this.

Please stay positive. You have friends out here. I hope this helps. Also I am not a doctor, lol.

Hi, I read your comment and I was wondering about how in the he'll you are suppose to gain weight on a low fat iet myself,I was diagnosed 6months ago..its been a long Rd. But have kept pretty faithful to my diet but still not gaining any weight, frustrating because I have been fortunate enough not to be in pain for now and have been eating like a horse, which feels great in itself, but not gaining..ANY SUGESTIONS? Did you ever find out about the butter problem? Thanks for haring

good butter substitute for almost everything is olivio. another is earth balance. you can sometimes find them in an ordinary grocery store but whole foods and health food stores carry good substitutes.